Dirt under screen, best way to remove?

megaminxwin

There's a tiny speck of dirt in-between the touch layer and the actual screen itself, and while it isn't making the Pandora act badly, it is very annoying. So what I'm basically saying is, what's the best way to get rid of something like this? I just got it back from being fixed, I don't want to send it off again, especially for something minor like this.

Mine has a tiny spec of dirt under the screen too.  I stuck on a supercool screen protector before I ever turned the Pandora on, so at first I thought it was just under the screen protector, and peeled the corner back to scratch it off, then realized it was under the screen itself, and reapplied the fancy screen protector.  I must have done that at least seven more times later after gradually doubting my previous assessment that it was under the screen, so that corner of the screen protector doesn't stick very well anymore.  On the bright side now I like the spec of dust, it's like my Pandora's birth mark.

I just find it really annoying, I guess because it only got in there a few days ago and I can't for the life of me remember how...

Sometimes it's not a bit of dirt, but  the top of the LCD bezel isn't properly fastened.. check the top edge above the screws to see if it's flush.. if one or two of the tabs are not seated properly it can cause the screen to bow and press on the touchscreen section. If it's not loosen the screws a bit and pop it back in place. Don't over tighten after you get it back in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey when you anytime in the Future plan to sell your Pandora can

you say thats a Hair or Dirts originaly from ED.

Then have you a Original for Collectors :D

But Ontopic:

I have no Idea to remove this too,sorry ;)

I would just run something thin through the edge to remove the dirt, perhaps a tooth-pick or an edge of a credit card as those are not metal.

I probably should have taken a photo of it...

Photo on 5-06-13 at 9.41 PM.jpg

I apologise for the horrible quality, but all I have is my webcam as my camera battery is dead and we lost the charger approximately 37 bajillion years ago. I circled the spot in question, but it's still pretty faint.

In real life, it's a very small dot, not fuzzy at all, and its definitely not a dead pixel, because if you look close, it's definitely above the actual screen.

That is a whole different thing all together than what I thought it was.. This is a defect from the screen manufacturer and should be covered by a warranty.. Even though you just went through the process, I would look into an RMA..

Well, considering it wasn't there before, but now it is, and it's definitely a speck of dirt, I'm beginning to think it might have escaped in from the side? The bezel around the screen became slightly dislodged some time ago (fixed now, just snapped it back in), and it was around that time that it appeared...

The touch layer is directly attached to the screen directly from the Manufacturer, I'm not sure how it would work its way in like that. Maybe I'm wrong.. Perhaps EvilDragon, Askarus or Link could chime in as they deal with repairing Pandoras quite a bit.

Hrm, well this is odd then. There's also a tiny fluff of fluffness near the top, but I can live with that, it's just this bloody spot that's driving me up the wall. (i dont know why, probably because im a cretin)

We all have a bit of "OCD".  This might get on my nerves as well if I had to look at it all of the time.  I guess I've been lucky so far with my Pandy...(knocks on reinforced chinese plastic case)...

It is actually difficult for me to discern where that speck is in relative to the entire screen, from just the blurry photograph.  Can you get a better picture, or provide more details - such as measurements from corner-to-corner(s)?  Perhaps a bit of prying and forced-air burst could help?  It's tough to tell from here.  Maybe with more details, a solution will become more clear.  If you loosen the four screws on the front screen paneling, you'll be able to pry the screen casing open, but having watched the videos, that seems like a real bear to do.  You have to use a lot of force, but at key spots and not too much.  Askarus/Link/ED could probably talk you through it.  Make sure you watch the video(s) though, if you're gonna try it yourself.  I'll post the link shortly when I hunt them down again...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/l8GfjAsbmK8?feature=oembed

This is Ed's video on how to replace the video cable, but it gets you into the screen area at least...

I hesitate to even offer this suggestion, because it's probably not what you want, but.... I've worked with "laminates" (not entirely the same thing I know) before, and if it's just a tiny air bubble or a speck of dirt....perhaps you could deftly take the sharpest of X-acto blades or a pin, and lightly pop it, or at least slightly "puncture" the outer membrane - NOT the lcd screen....and then "vacuum" it out, if it is indeed a speck of something.

Take that as a last resort option though, because I can't even tell from that photo what's going on.  Good Luck!   :)

I wonder how this one turned out?  I hope it didn't lead to mass hysteria and suicide pacts like some of my other well-intentioned advice has led to in the past.  Look, I try to help.  Am I a clinical psychologist?  No.  Am I a computer hardware expert?  Define expert.  I know where the power button is....usually. I use a lot of common sense and duct tape to fix problems.  Like with my girlfriend - she talks too much...duct tape.  Then she kicks me - more duct tape....okay, maybe I've said too much.

If you're around, megaminxman, drop us a line and let us know how it's going.  Thanks!   :)

Back