Directories That No Longer Exists

GuchaRU

You see... when i open file browser pandora shows a lot of directories and drives in media that no longer exists...
How can I clear all that garbage that is no longer there?

GuchaRU said:
You see... when i open file browser pandora shows a lot of directories and drives in media that no longer exists...
How can I clear all that garbage that is no longer there?
run checkDisk Utility (windows) on your sdcard ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not it... Even when SD card is not inserted into pandora it still shows in media that it is. And after inserting several SD cards with different names my "media" directory is littered with non existent dirs/drives.

Remove the SD cards.
"ls -l /media" to look for extra SD card directories (should be by name of card)
"sudo rm -r /media/Whatever" and enter password.
That should take care of it, I think, assuming it is what I think it is.

edit: forgot, SD cards are mounted by name, not mmcblk*

Yes, it helped. Thank you :)
One of these days I really need to learn how to use terminal :) (I'm windows guy...)

UPD: also a quick question if you don't mind - how can I delete something without it being sent to a trash dir?

^ Right-click, move the pointer to Delete but don't click it, hold the Shift key (or the left shoulder button, which does the same thing), and THEN click Delete. This is one way of bypassing the trash - others are available, but I can't remember how to set them up right now, as I just use this one for simplicity's sake. I believe that at least one of the other methods is detailed in the tweaks thread that's stickied in the Support section over on the official forum (I'm not sure if it's also in the one here).

If you really want the trash "gone", the closest I've been able to manage was protecting it. In a terminal, type "chmod 0 ~/Applications/Data/Trash". If you try to delete something, it'll warn you that it couldn't copy the file. You have to delete with the shift key pressed, as Prometheus has mentioned, unfortunately, but at least you won't accidentally send things to the NAND anymore.
I created a sym-link from the trash to a directory on my SD card so taht any deleted files go there instead, but I almost never delete anything that way, I prefer command line interaction.

Back