Partitions on SD as /usr, /bin, &c?

marktuson

I've got an 8G SDHC card prepared for when I get my Pandora (will be getting a 32 or 64 when I get it), on which I've already made myself a swap partition, and would like to see about setting up partitons for /usr (and /bin if need be), or whatever, to save space on the NAND in case I get carried away installing software. My question, though, is: do I have to move the contents of these directories to the new partitions, and then set the new partitions to mount at the directories in /etc/fstab?

Which directories need I make partitions for? It seems to me that I'd only need to do /usr, really, because that seems to be where all software gets installed to, is that right?

You could mess with links and stuff and hope you got enough such that you can install and everything goes to the SD card, or you can just install the OS to an SD card and forget about the NAND completely.

*hint* I recommend installing the OS to an SD card and forgetting about the NAND ;)

If you're going to have an SD card so tightly linked to the OS that you can't remove it anyway, may as well just put the entire OS on there, eh? Other benefits are if your Pandora breaks and you need to send it in for repairs, even if they swap out the board you've still got all your settings because your OS is on the SD card.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could mess with links and stuff and hope you got enough such that you can install and everything goes to the SD card, or you can just install the OS to an SD card and forget about the NAND completely.

*hint* I recommend installing the OS to an SD card and forgetting about the NAND ;)

If you're going to have an SD card so tightly linked to the OS that you can't remove it anyway, may as well just put the entire OS on there, eh? Other benefits are if your Pandora breaks and you need to send it in for repairs, even if they swap out the board you've still got all your settings because your OS is on the SD card.
No, wait a minute - this was about giving myself more capacity - I want at least 4G space for installing software. Once the thing's done, I'll be securing it in with epoxy putty, which if I ever need to remove, I'll chip the putty off with a chisel.

I'm not incapable of writing a shell-script to reinstall my own /etc/fstab should the system ever need flattening.

No, wait a minute - this was about giving myself more capacity - I want at least 4G space for installing software. Once the thing's done, I'll be securing it in with epoxy putty, which if I ever need to remove, I'll chip the putty off with a chisel.

I'm not incapable of writing a shell-script to reinstall my own /etc/fstab should the system ever need flattening.
The advice Stan give you was the best choice you could do if you realy want to install more angstrom packages. I mind you that angstrom repository, while quite good isn't very large. So it doesn't containt that much stuff anyway. If you *really* want to depend ona package manager, I would recomand Stuckies Debian extent. Debian repos are way larger, you won't mess your base system (thuss be sure that all PND will continu to work).

By the way the prefered way to distribute applications for pandora is PNDs. Using PNDs will effectively do want you want without messing with links and stuff. Oh and it's plug'n'play too :)

The advice Stan give you was the best choice you could do if you realy want to install more angstrom packages. I mind you that angstrom repository, while quite good isn't very large. So it doesn't containt that much stuff anyway. If you *really* want to depend ona package manager, I would recomand Stuckies Debian extent. Debian repos are way larger, you won't mess your base system (thuss be sure that all PND will continu to work).

By the way the prefered way to distribute applications for pandora is PNDs. Using PNDs will effectively do want you want without messing with links and stuff. Oh and it's plug'n'play too :)
Hmm... but what about software I download as source tarballs?

Debian would rock - it's my favourite flavour - but will I still be able to use PNDs with that?

Hmm... but what about software I download as source tarballs?
I'll be pleased to help you create a PND out of this :) (I've done some :D )

Debian would rock - it's my favourite flavour - but will I still be able to use PNDs with that?
Yep without even rebooting. that's the beauty of its extent system.

Even if I'm a debian nuts myself (11years on sid), i'm not using it : if I need something, I'll pnd it up :)

I'll be pleased to help you create a PND out of this :) (I've done some :D )

Yep without even rebooting. that's the beauty of its extent system.

Even if I'm a debian nuts myself (11years on sid), i'm not using it : if I need something, I'll pnd it up :)
Ah, fair enough. How difficult is PNDing, then?

Also, will GNOME work on a Pandora without crippling it? I'll be happy with even gnome-base without any theming at all or any other programs with it, but I've grown to like GNOME since I got into Debian (I used to like KDE, but KDE4 makes me vomit).

Ah, fair enough. How difficult is PNDing, then?
It depends. :) Will you prefer cross-compiling (faster, tedier), or build on the pandora directly (easier, take age).

Once building is done, it's just a matter of editing a file (I even have a script to generate it) and start a script that will create the pnd file.

Back