Dingoo Linux

mark1980

Still Fresh
ive been hearing alot of people talking about a linux fireware on/coming to the dingoo.is it REALY going to make alot of diffrence to the dingoo,and why.im not much of a techie guy,so what are the possibilty it could bring to the dingoo apart from better emulators.and when do you think it will get be released.

An actual Linux firmware replacement is still a long way off. For the time being Linux will be available as a dual-boot option enabling the average joe to run anything from quick-n-dirty ports of GP2X-linux titles or desktop linux titles to, eventually, some properly optimized emulators and, perhaps, original games and applications.

There's still a lot of hardware support to be implemented before it becomes a viable firmware replacement and, of course, a port of GMenu to make it actually usable.

The benefits of a linux firmware extend both to developers and end users. End users get a frequently updated and highly customizable firmware developed by people who, whilst they maintain an interest in developing for the Dingoo, are likely to listen to and implement suggestions. Developers get a familiar and straightforward environment that they can target... I'm extremely new to C++ but could muddle my way 'round porting and cross-compiling an app for the Dingoo, development for the normal firmware is probably not much more difficult, but is a total mystery to me.

Linux on the Dingoo is generally a good thing, it'll spur on more community development efforts and, even if it doesn't ever outright replace the stock firmware, it will bring a lot of applications that we would otherwise never have available.

It's also a good opportunity for people like you to dabble in being a "techie guy."

I have used enough hardware running Linux to know that it is not only that running Linux is the most important part, it is how it is running. Full hardware recognition is often problematic. I will wait for that before even thinking about buying a Dingoo.

Linux is supposed to be more abstracted from the hardware, so it's easier to port emulators and such. It's probably easier to write any program in general since the Dingoo S2DSDK is very strange (or at least it appears to be).

so in basic terms what is the daul boot ?.is it just a lazy way of useing old gp2x emulator/games with a little bit of tinkering to make the dingoo freindly ?.

Dual boot is being implemented because dingoo-linux isn't ready to replace the original dingoo firmware. Don't debase this method of getting emulators by calling it "lazy". None of this is easy. Booboo has to work hard to get hardware support working under linux, and optimized ports of emulators don't come out just by someone snapping their fingers.

Back