Did You Get Your Dingoo?

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
I figure since all the other forum sections have this, there should be one for the Dingoo A320.

SO, did you get your Dingoo A320 yet? Where did you order from?

How do you like it so far?

I finally ordered mine just now on DX, ordered a black one (sold off some stuff I wasn't using on eBay, got enough to buy one). It'll probably take 2 weeks to get here.

(Someone sticky this please)

I got mine ;]

Black from dealextreme, ordered it immediately after they started offering it. It took 5 days for them yo mail it & a little over 2 weeks to get here, making a total of 3 weeks (to be expected though, I live in Cleveland, so it's just a matter of physical distance).

I'm in love with the little thing! the form-factor is just perfect, and it's surprisingly well built. I've been quite satisfied so far with the built-in emus, minus snes & genesis which I haven't even bothered testing. The prospect of linux on it is really exciting, and it's pretty cool watching the developments unfold.

The dingoo is basically what I've always wanted the gameboy micro to be, but never was. It fixes all of the woes I had with it. The screen is gorgeous, and the battery life is stupendous. It is the perfect thickness; not too thick like the micro was (hardly noticeable in your pocket), but not thin enough to be uncomfortable. The controls do not feel squished like the micro's. Some people have issues with the L&R buttons, and admittedly they could be moved half a centimeter over, but for my hands they are in a good position.

The design is actually very nice, and allows you to comfortably do what few other systems allow you to do. Take 19XX for example:
photo-1.jpg
photo.jpg

The dingoo itself can be rotated, allowing you to play vertical-oriented games the way they should be played without it feeling wonky. I don't know why, but that really gets me. It just feels nice. I've mapped primary fire to the select button & secondary to L, with R being coin.

Unconverted video playback is nice, however it suffers from a lot of stuttering with larger files & leaves a lot to be desired. Fortunately this is where linux comes in to save the day; a quick vlc or mplayer port should fix that right up. Same can be said about mp3s; playback is fine, but it lacks many modern features. Once again, with linux we should be able to fix that up.

I primarily bought the dingoo to tide me over until the pandora arrives, but it has quickly become much more than that & has earned it's keep. It's nice to have neo-geo & cps1/2 games right in your pocket with 'proper' controls, and the screen really makes those games shine. I've got a huge hard-on for anything that runs linux & fits in my pocket, so it's soon to get even better. Exciting prospects await!

Overall: Don't think, just buy ;P

I ordered mine (a white one from DealExtreme) on Friday night, and it's due to leave Hong Kong today according to the tracking information.

I also ordered a set of these, *just in case* I end up being one of those people who finds the d-pad to be problematic with particular games or genres (at $2.32, it doesn't really matter if it turns out that I don't need them - I'm sure they'll come in handy at some point anyway :p).

For whatever reason, DealExtreme stuff tends to get to me pretty quickly, so I'm hoping it won't take a whole two weeks. :lol:

Consequence9, do you mind if I ask how well the text-to-speech feature works? :)

Consequence9 posted on May 27 2009 at 08:49 AM said:
Unconverted video playback is nice, however it suffers from a lot of stuttering with larger files & leaves a lot to be desired. Fortunately this is where linux comes in to save the day; a quick vlc or mplayer port should fix that right up. Same can be said about mp3s; playback is fine, but it lacks many modern features. Once again, with linux we should be able to fix that up.
I don't think so. Mplayer for linux is far worse than the mplayer compiled for the official firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back