Did I Get A Doa Gp2x?

finallygreen

Still Fresh
Hello,

well, after waiting over a year, I finally got a GP2X this morning for Christmas (my girlfriend ordered it for me from play-asia.com) When I turn it on, I get a GP2X logo screen, after which, the screen just jumbles up a bit and goes white. What do I do....did I get a bad unit after waiting all this time? :(

finallygreen

Are you using rechargeable NiMH camera batteries? At least 2500mAh is preferred for best performance. Regular alkaline batteries will totally die in a matter of moments. They do not have the strength and energy to power the unit.

finallygreen posted on Dec 25 2006 at 03:42 PM said:
Hello,

well, after waiting over a year, I finally got a GP2X this morning for Christmas (my girlfriend ordered it for me from play-asia.com) When I turn it on, I get a GP2X logo screen, after which, the screen just jumbles up a bit and goes white. What do I do....did I get a bad unit after waiting all this time? :(

finallygreen

Sounds very much like how they behave when the batteries are flat.

Lets hope thats the problem, merry xmas!!

darkman beat me to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
spoyser posted on Dec 25 2006 at 11:00 AM said:
finallygreen posted on Dec 25 2006 at 03:42 PM said:
Hello,

finallygreen

Sounds very much like how they behave when the batteries are flat.

Lets hope thats the problem, merry xmas!!

darkman beat me to it!

I think you guys are right.....I checked several sets of batteries (none of which I was totally sure how charged they were), and finally one set of my 2500mah rechargeables booted it up! Oh I was dreading the idea of having to start the whole return process after waiting so long to try this baby out....SO glad I'm back on track!

So now I get to spend my morning finding what emulators and such I can run on this thing....could any of you kind folks point me to a good starting point for that?

Merry Christmas!

finallygreen

Try "PicoDrive" for some Sega Genesis/Mega Drive emulation. This could be a good starting point.
Also the latest squidgesnes 0.392 for some SNES goodness.

I don't know how experienced you are at messing with emulators, but you get comfortable with that dive into GNgeo2X for some Neo Geo fun.

Mame is very good for those old time arcade games.

Hu6280 is very good for Turbo Grafx/Pc Engine goodies.

I may be way off at what you are looking for in retro gaming. These are just some of my favorites that I spend most of my time with. I go through moods of spending time with one emu then another. There are many Home Brew stuff that are great.

Heroes
Noiz2sa
spout
Tilematch

to name a few.

There are linux games that have been made available for the 2X

Methane Brothers
Powermanga
Super Tux
Frozen Bubble

There is a whole world to explore. I have had my unit since July 1st and have played it daily!

Glad to hear that the battery issue has been solved on this important day. :)

darkman posted on Dec 25 2006 at 12:04 PM said:
Try "PicoDrive" for some Sega Genesis/Mega Drive emulation. This could be a good starting point.
Also the latest squidgesnes 0.392 for some SNES goodness.

I don't know how experienced you are at messing with emulators, but you get comfortable with that dive into GNgeo2X for some Neo Geo fun.

Mame is very good for those old time arcade games.

Hu6280 is very good for Turbo Grafx/Pc Engine goodies.

I may be way off at what you are looking for in retro gaming. These are just some of my favorites that I spend most of my time with. I go through moods of spending time with one emu then another. There are many Home Brew stuff that are great.

Heroes
Noiz2sa
spout
Tilematch

to name a few.

There are linux games that have been made available for the 2X

Methane Brothers
Powermanga
Super Tux
Frozen Bubble

There is a whole world to explore. I have had my unit since July 1st and have played it daily!

Glad to hear that the battery issue has been solved on this important day. :)

Excellent! I'm quite experienced using emulators, so I'm not worried about that....the trick is trying to find out which are considered the best for each classic system when there's clearly a LOT out there for us to choose from....and it looks like you've already given me some good choices there!

Right now I'm carefully converting my newer MAME games to the standard the GP2X emu wants (I say carefully cuz I'd have a heart attack if I accidentally erased the newer versions I'm converting from, lol!), and if I can get that one running today, I'll wait to try the others tomorrow when there's not all those 'family obligations' going on ;)

I guess I'm also gonna have to learn a quick/easy way to convert DVD-compliant MPG2 to divx....I THOUGHT I could play MPG2 files on this (of which I have a huge library of), but I read that wrong. Anyways, I'm going OT with that, so I'll save that daunting task for another day (and probably another thread, lol).

Thanks very much for the help....and have a great Christmas!

finallygreen

finallygreen posted on Dec 25 2006 at 05:30 PM said:
I guess I'm also gonna have to learn a quick/easy way to convert DVD-compliant MPG2 to divx....I THOUGHT I could play MPG2 files on this (of which I have a huge library of), but I read that wrong.

Pocket DivX Encoder

Back