GP32 Devkitarm 4.0.1


Do you know if gcc-4.0.1 fixed the regressions in gcc-4.0.0 that caused C code to be markedly less efficient than the same code compiled with gcc-3.4 (possibly only affected the ARM target, not sure)?
 
Sorry sixxie but I would have no clue (Wolf3D isn't very CPU intensive as is) and I skipped from 3.0.2 (devkitadv... I think that's what it has atleast) to 4.0.1
 
sixxie posted on Jul 26 2005 at 12:44 PM said:
Do you know if gcc-4.0.1 fixed the regressions in gcc-4.0.0 that caused C code to be markedly less efficient than the same code compiled with gcc-3.4 (possibly only affected the ARM target, not sure)?
​
Never tried gcc 4.0.0, but I've just upgraded from 3.4.4 to 4.0.1 and had some very interesting results with gpQuake. With 3.4.0 and 3.4.4 I could only get quake running if I compiled with -O1. -O2 or 3 caused an immediate crash, and -O0 got as far as the menu before acting up. With 3.4.4 I was getting a 7.7 average frame rate at 160mhz. Compiling with gcc 4.0.1 I can now get the same code to run even with -O3, and the frame rates have gone up to 8 with -O1, and 8.4 with -O3 :). Some stuff is playing up however so I need to check through the code and see whats going on, but it looks like 4.0.1 is both more efficient and more stable than 3.4.4.

Edit: the stuff that was playing up was caused by me changing some code recently, so it looks like there's no problems with 4.0.1 at all.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
woogal posted on Jul 28 2005 at 03:40 PM said:
With 3.4.4 I was getting a 7.7 average frame rate at 160mhz. Compiling with gcc 4.0.1 I can now get the same code to run even with -O3, and the frame rates have gone up to 8 with -O1, and 8.4 with -O3 :).
Cool. I need to try out 4.0.1, then!

Edit: assuming Quake isn't all C++ and that's why you see the speedup...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
sixxie posted on Jul 29 2005 at 08:23 AM said:
Edit: assuming Quake isn't all C++ and that's why you see the speedup...
​
Quake is just your normal friendly C. If it was C++ I would have ran away screaming a long time ago :).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
no_skill posted on Jul 27 2005 at 11:07 AM said:
are there any plans to integrate the C++ fix in devkitarm?
​

C++ has worked with DevKitARM for a long time, even with the official SDK if you use the version hosted with DKArm (I patched the SDK hosted there for C++ and DKArm happiness a LONG time ago :D).

Just avoid using the GamePark memory operators if you don't want problems. That said if your C++'ing then why are you using wrapped Malloc etc. anyway :D.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top