Dennis Ritchie (dmr) died at home this weekend

My condolences to his family, he did some amazing things during his lifetime.

Yes, RIP. The C programming language did indeed move computers a long way since.

On a side note, I'm still struggling to learn programming, C or any other language, though C++ looks a lot more appealing to me, more straight forward.

If you're really new, you may wanna start with Python, or at least learn it alongside C++ to give you something to go to when that frustrates you.

If you're really new, you may wanna start with Python, or at least learn it alongside C++ to give you something to go to when that frustrates you.
I've heard of a lot of universities doing this, as Python is a bit more forgiving. It allows the student to still learn about variables and program flow, and then once you're good at that you jump into a bigger language like C (or Java) to learn some more topics.

Dennis M. Ritchie: C, and Unix. Without C and Unix there wouldn't be Linux as we know it, and thus no Pandora. There wouldn't be a TV in my home running on Linux. And so on and so forth. Almost everything I see around me in this office is based around things that Ritchie was behind, including several of the phones there on the table.

It's good to see that at least one community I go to recognized the man. I didn't know about it until I looked up his Wikipedia page to find he was dead. It was sad that Steve Jobs received all this media attention and Ritchie was like an afterthought.

Both had an influence on computing, but Jobs was being revered in the same breath as Edison, which is ludicrous. Ritchie did more for computing than Jobs ever dreamed to.

That said, it sucks to lose 2 important figures in the tech world within a week of each other.

Back