Definition Of Playable

0-bake

hi,

okay, i'm very sorry to open this thread, but because my other thread (fully playable rpg's on osnes9x) was closed, i have to explain why:

the thread was referred to the existing osnes9x compatibility list, but in my opinion, this list is completely useless.
almost every game is declerated as playable "...runs fine with FS 3..."

in my opinion, an action-game or platformer is not playable with any frameskip, because it'll run choppy, which is no fun or gameplay.
other thing is, that you sometimes blink in games, after beeing shot, or your shot itself blinks, like in metroid. with a frameskip, these blinking objects become invisible.

not mentioned in the existing comp. list are transparency issues. zelda is classified as "A". but try to play it further than the first 2 screens, you'll see that you get transparency issues, wich can't be merged with the hack settings.

so, i guess my thread was ok, because, as mentioned, in the existing list every game that starts with osnes9x is "ok". and transparency effects are not mentioned.

If you have a problem with a moderator's decision, take it up with the moderator in question. In the previous case, that was me. Since you decided to do this publically, I'll even be fair and leave the topic open this time.

The intention of the OpenSNES9x Compatibility List was to advertise games that have "good compatibility" in the opinion of the user, and ask questions on compatibility of some games you may be interested in. With that in mind, I do not feel my actions were unwarrented. Furthermore, there have been a huge influx of OpenSNES9x posts, especially following the v0.3 beta release, a lot of them asking "Does such and such game work with such and such quality?"

Perhaps a new thread is required for v0.3 beta, since no one is using the old thread that was made for v0.2, although I really don't think the speed increase, nor the transparency issues, is phenomenal enough to warrent an entirely new thread. In fact, some people have said the actual compatibility went DOWN with the new release, although I haven't experienced that personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
0-bake, what you have is an opinion - one that a lot of people obviously disagree with. Why not make your own compatibility list if the one here isn't good enough? It was done for free by a load of people who could have not bothered, but did.

my problem wasn't your decision, my problem was that my question wasn't answered. even with the refer to the other thread.

and btw, many games run with osnes9x 3.0 with FS 0, which used to have FS 1 or even 2 in version 0.2 (sound deactivated, of course).
and in my opinion, there are many more games now playable at original speed (FS 0).

but i wanted to know the transparency thing about the rpg's. and you can't test that by playing it just 10 minutes. maybe problems occur after 1 hour playing.

I pointed to that thread so you would post the question there instead of making a new thread. I usually close threads instead of merging, there are various reasons behind that. That's why I said "Please use this thread" and not "Your answer lies in this thread". Furthermore, if I found a definite answer, I wouldn't have locked the thread. I locked it because I felt it was a duplicate topic (a games compatibility with OpenSNES9x), and would inspire people to make more OpenSNES9x posts to create even more duplicate topics. You are free to disagree with my decision.

This is the last time I'll debate this issue. As I said I will leave this topic open, you are free to disagree/flame/etc.

PinkSpider posted on Aug 20 2004 at 06:55 PM said:
1 or 2 frameskip isnt necessarily choppy.
Yes true but if the frameskip is on 2/3 it looks really bad.
And as he said there are invisible or near invisible objects because of this.

Axeman posted on Aug 20 2004 at 07:13 PM said:
0-bake, what you have is an opinion - one that a lot of people obviously disagree with. Why not make your own compatibility list if the one here isn't good enough? It was done for free by a load of people who could have not bothered, but did.
That was exactly what he did but his post was deleted by the EVIL generalmx <sarcasm>

:D

Meh, no totally true imo... for metroid I'd suggest a fs 4 (although I always play it on snes9xgp not osnes9xgp) that way your still visible while blinking and the speeed is decent at 166Mhz. so in some instances higher frameskip is still decent and allowable (once again in my opinion)

Everyones deffinition of playable are goin to be different as some people want to play a game so much they'll play it at less than half speed but that will be playable to them. ya know!

bringoutthegimp posted on Aug 20 2004 at 08:59 PM said:
anything above frameskip 2 = unplayable
I used to play SNES emulators on my 486-33, at fullspeed. I had so much frameskip that when Mario ran, his sprite didn't even change. But it was playable, because I beat Mario and 3/4 of Zelda:LTTP on that 486.

well i define playable like that:
- FS 0 or 1 at full speed
- Sound at at least 22khz with no stuttering

for me playable is like playing on the original machine. nothing more, nothing less.

xboxit posted on Aug 21 2004 at 11:33 AM said:
Everyones deffinition of playable are goin to be different as some people want to play a game so much they'll play it at less than half speed but that will be playable to them. ya know!
Exactly! 'Playable' is subjective, and cannot be defined.

It seems however, from the amount of "FS3 = playable" reviews, that the majority find this acceptable - and large, generic threads usually cater to the majority. Unfortunately you feel differently so the reviews are useless to you. This is understandable. I would simply caution people from overusing 'playable' the same way people overuse 'nice' as an adjective. Say if it stutters in places, if it feels smooth, if the timing is off, if it's easy to control, and estimate how other people might see the game if their tolerance for skipping is lower. That'll make your reviews more helpful for everyone.

Thank you and goodnight.

Back