GP32 Decided To Take The Plunge...

Apeiron

I'm planning on picking up Visual Studio to learn Visual basic as recommend as a first step then Visual C++.
I have but a few Questions.
1. Am I right by starting to learn a basic language first?
2.Recommendations on Books/Free Tutorials?

Personally, I think visual basic will give you too many bad habbits which you'll then try to use on visual c++, and it'll bitch and moan until you delete almost every line of code...

If your target is C++, then I'd start with that first (or maybe C, but definitely not basic).

Yep, forget about VB. Jump in at the deep end with C, you'll find it much more rewarding. It will also be alot more use to you then VB, plus once you've learn't C, VB will be a breeze.

I learned BASIC
then C
then C++
now I'm learning JAVA

only thing is I havn't learned enough in any of those to make something very useful (wouldn't have the time either :( )

so listen to them not me :lol:

Really depends what you want to do; VB is one of the most popularly used languages out there, in terms of common Windows apps and rapid Windows-app prototyping and such. ie: Could get you a job, but you'd hate yourself maybe ;) Theres a good reaosn its popular, but its not respected by the hardcore. If you want to do cool things and do handheld or embedded then start with C then add in some C++..

I'd suggest C->C++ and skip VB, though if you want to get into being a webbie (web dev), then vb-script can be useful (and also java of course, which competes with vbs, and of course php, perl, etc etc..)

jeff

I find that Visual Basic is to application development what WYSIWYG editors are to webpage authoring - you can get the job done, but it won't necessarily be done well. 'Quick and easy' solutions tend to make code unnecessarily complicated and slow. I prefer the control you get with C and C++. It's well worth the extra effort, plus it will let you move away from Windows programming much quicker than with VB (C/C++ compilers are available for almost anything nowadays).

Thanks for all the Replies.

One last Q, Is there any difference in VC++ and C++ code wise, or does VC++ just make it easier to make visual items.

My plan is to learn C++ for Games creation mainly, I have a few games in mind and do not wish to take the easy shortcuts by using Engines etc. at least by coding it I code them make it multi platform more easily, unlike GIGAS/RPGMaker where they become stuck on that console

skeezix posted on Mar 20 2005 at 03:15 AM said:
I'd suggest C->C++ and skip VB, though if you want to get into being a webbie (web dev), then vb-script can be useful (and also java of course, which competes with vbs, and of course php, perl, etc etc..)
why first C, then C++?

btw. Im learning C++ right now and it's so cool :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably because C++ is a tad harder to learn than C, but when you know C, C++ is easy.

and yes, Visual C++ is just C++ with MS's editor and visual tools.

Maybe I'll have a very original Pong out next week....lol.

Oh and thanks again for the very helpful replies. I'm delving straight to C++
Wish me luck

Back