Dead Pixel Policy

Wanna see a REALLY nice backlit LCD? Check out the new screen on the new shipments of GBA SP. The box will say "Now with brighter backlit display" and they mean it! :)

I have one of these new SP's and the screen is just draw droppingly nice. Bright as hell (like the PSP), very intense colors, good blacks, and a wide viewing angle. And very little of the ghosting issues or high dead pixel rates of the PSP screen.

It's only 2.9" 240x160 - but damn would I love to see a 3.5" 320x240 version of that screen in a GP2X someday. The GP32 had the BLU, so maybe a year later GPH will make an improved GP2X. :)

Prophet posted on Oct 1 2005 at 05:34 PM said:
Wanna see a REALLY nice backlit LCD? Check out the new screen on the new shipments of GBA SP. The box will say "Now with brighter backlit display" and they mean it! :)

I have one of these new SP's and the screen is just draw droppingly nice. Bright as hell (like the PSP), very intense colors, good blacks, and a wide viewing angle. And very little of the ghosting issues or high dead pixel rates of the PSP screen.

It's only 2.9" 240x160 - but damn would I love to see a 3.5" 320x240 version of that screen in a GP2X someday. The GP32 had the BLU, so maybe a year later GPH will make an improved GP2X. :)

What when did this happen? Do you mean front light? How come I have never heard of this? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe. Good questions reallynotnick!

See, Nintendo basically snuck this under the radar. So don't feel bad if this is the first you've read of it.

The new SP's came out about a week ago, and I snapped one up ASAP. I have the "graphite" version which is dark gray and black. Quite nice. There is also a pearl blue and a spngebob squarepants yellow so far. But I understand that once old SP stock sells out, all SP's will incorporate the new screen. Right now stores are not promoting them, and in some cases are even told to not mention them because they want to sell the old SP's off. Especially since the new SP's are the same price! ;)

You can tell them by the blurb on the box which says " now with new brighter backlit display" or something like that.

Regarding the screen - it is NOT the old frontlit screen. It is a bonifide backlit TFT LCD screen, and as I described above it's exceedingly good. Overall the best screen I've ever used on any handheld game system, the PSP only wins for size - otherwise I find the new SP screen to be better due its relative lack of ghosting. It is also far superior to the DS screens as well, much brighter and with much better colors.

Here's a story IGN wrote about the new SP: http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/652/652641p1.html

It's nice but in a way I kinda still like my old SP it means I can save a few more minutes of battery life because I can turn off the screen on games that dont have the sleep option if I need to be away for extended periods of time.

My friend stopped in the city for a couple of days and we really wanted to get in a link game of Advance wars 2, we started on the subway but the ride was only an hour long then he wanted to visit his old neibor hood before we got back to my house to continue playing so I had our screens turn off and kept them linked in my back pack. after going through his neiborhood and hen spending 2 hours with my parents showing them pics of his daughter and getting dinner we finally got back to gaming like 4 or 5 hours after I turned off the screens. I doubt we could have finished that game if we'd had GBAs whose screens couldnt be turned off.

5 dead pixels on a screen that size is quite frankly disgusting

I work for Acer UK which has a 4 dead pixel policy and all 15inch and above sized monitors.

PDAs with a similar sized screen come with 2 max dead pixels

Back