Dead Dreamcast!!??

Anonymous D

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I bought a dreamcast of e-bay about a month ago, and today, while playing crazy taxi it just cut out. It now wont turn on at all, not even boot to the bios. I'm pretty sure it didn't overheat as the fan was going and there was a breeze in the room. Any common problems/fixes anyone knows that I could try out?

Btw:I checked all the fuses, and no wires seem to be loose.#

thanks

If none of the wires are broken or loose, then im guessing it actually IS dead!. U could try taking the top of the unit off using a screw driver to see whether there are any obvious problems. If you can't see any then it must well and truly be dead. U will probably have to get a new one but from eBay they're not expensive. Got a new one with 9 games for just over £10

Too bad your Dreamcast isn't working anymore. Turn it on while the Dreamcast isn't connected to the wall, then connect it to the wall again and turn it on. This helps sometimes.

Else try to turn around the plug you put in the wall and turn it on again.

Good luck!

most common cause for dead dc's is ether the gdrom drive or the psu, as you dont even get to the bios its most likely the psu, you can buy replacement psu's for it pretty cheap.

Jaw posted on Aug 28 2006 at 07:04 PM said:
reseat the power supply board inside it. give the connections a clean while you are at it.
mine dies after getting hot, so i cant play that japanese type game with an "S" I forget the name right now :( for long periods of time or my DC dies.

what can I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 29 2006 at 02:22 AM said:
reseat the power supply board inside it. give the connections a clean while you are at it.
mine dies after getting hot, so i cant play that japanese type game with an "S" I forget the name right now :( for long periods of time or my DC dies.

what can I do?
Followthis Tutorial. There´s a more detailed one with pictures somewhere at dcemu, but i couldnt find it.

I have done this to my two DCs and it works fine.

If You´re lazy, you can just open your DC, find the connection of the psu to the mainboard (there are four pins from the PSU pressed against four pins from the PCB surrounded by some white plastic) and then try to press them together harder by inserting something (i took matches) into the space between the pins and the plastic.

Fishbong posted on Aug 29 2006 at 08:42 AM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 29 2006 at 02:22 AM said:

what can I do?
Followthis Tutorial. There´s a more detailed one with pictures somewhere at dcemu, but i couldnt find it.

I have done this to my two DCs and it works fine.

If You´re lazy, you can just open your DC, find the connection of the psu to the mainboard (there are four pins from the PSU pressed against four pins from the PCB surrounded by some white plastic) and then try to press them together harder by inserting something (i took matches) into the space between the pins and the plastic.
im not sure if that's my problem. Ill post a more detailed description of my issue in a little bit.

Fishbong posted on Aug 29 2006 at 01:24 PM said:
Some DCs just reset after a while, some shut off, but in any case its those connections´ fault. You should try this guide.
After playing my dc for a while, say, playing a football game, I've switched it off and popped in a basketball game disc. The problem I get is, the dc wont recognize the new disc if ive been playing another game for while and the system is warm/hot. It just jumps to the 'insert disc' screen' with all the options such as memory card access, system update, etc.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 29 2006 at 06:00 PM said:
Some DCs just reset after a while, some shut off, but in any case its those connections´ fault. You should try this guide.
After playing my dc for a while, say, playing a football game, I've switched it off and popped in a basketball game disc. The problem I get is, the dc wont recognize the new disc if ive been playing another game for while and the system is warm/hot. It just jumps to the 'insert disc' screen' with all the options such as memory card access, system update, etc.
Looks like you´ll have to calibrate your drive speed.

Sounds like your PSU is dead if it wont switch on at all. I have a spare dreamcast I was going to throw out(faulty laser) if you pay postage you can have it for nothing for spares.

I live in London but your in Leicester arn't you?

Steve.

Fishbong posted on Aug 30 2006 at 04:03 AM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 29 2006 at 06:00 PM said:
Looks like you´ll have to calibrate your drive speed.
is that really the problem, you think? Are there others with similar problems? If this is easily fixable that's fantastic :)

Any links on how to calibrate?

cool, i guess ill try that when i have some spare time and energy. I hope that's my problem....although there really is no way to test it except play until my DC overheats and wont read the disc anymore.

Back