Update Dave Gnukem

Hmm, maybe I should just test if I can still reproduce the credits lockup on my system. Thanfully it's for some reason much easier to get out of this game when locked than certain other pandora software - just hold down the pandora button for a few seconds, then hit fn+l to switch the displayed layer (on my TV-out-only unit - may not be necessary on a fully functional Pandora). On other software I have to first get it to show the kill window dialogue, kill the main game window, then search for other game processes to kill.

And can I be the first to ask for the obligatory c4a integration, please? :)

Hmm, I just hit a bug where I played two games in a row and the second game seemed to have reverted the controls to the default ones without any action from myself that I'm aware of.

Also, this time got a lockup after playing a game, redefining the keys and trying to play another game. The pndout doesn't seem to contain a smoking gun:
Code:
xenv: X vendor: The X.Org Foundation, rel: 10707000, display: :0.0, protocol ver: 11.0
xenv: display is 800x480
omapsdl: dropping unhandled flags: 10000000
level_load( levels/level1.lev ): loading at slot 0.
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( run.sh  ) ----------

FWIW, both times I think it locked with the spinning pointer animation at the same point, possibly the start of the sequence with the pointer side on so it appears just as a line in 2D projection. Maybe that has something to do with the lockup.

I have a 1GHz unit and have not explicitly installed a GPU driver since reflashing to 1.73, so I'm just using whatever driver notaz decided was best for my 1GHz unit. Ekianjo's system info app fails to detect which version that is.

Hi all :)

@David Joffe : thanks for joining our community !!! I'll try to clone your repository, add the relevant Pandora changes and make a PR. On a side note, issue #3 on github is indeed annoying :p

@levi: are you using a FAT32 SD card ? That could maybe explain your issue with the controls being reverted to default (the package uses symlinks). I couldn't also reproduce the bug you have with the credits screen. Finally, C4A support is planned, see first post (shouldn't be too difficult, the hi-scores are in plain text) ;)

@David Joffe : C4A is --> http://c4a.openpandora.org/

I'll have a look at the controls ASAP, see if I can map sound volume +/- to some other keys. EDIT: my girlfriend played Dave Gnukem yesterday evening in the train, and she had a hard time jumping and firing at the same time, as (A) and (B) are so far apart.

Cheers, Magic Sam

Yes, I also found it much more playable using B and X for example. With A and B I had to adjust the way I held my Pandora, and bring two fingers to it for some of the more technical shooting.

I'm using an ext4 card. I'll keep testing this and see if I can find out what steps cause these issues reliably, for me at least.

Thanks, Magic Sam. I´ll try again later to overcome my problem and GET that green key LOL And if not I´ll cheat over the first level ;) and on c4a I am confortable anywaywith "high" (as in, last) ranks :D
[doublepost=1484959738,1484942588][/doublepost]Played another round - my green key problem was jsu tmy own blindness (totally overlooked the right elevator).
Game went much easier from then on, especially since health ups lie around alot now, and I am getting the hang of Secret Agent/DN1 back again :)
Highscore 54000 atm - not much, but I improve :

A good shoot/jump button setting I have found is key O and key P - it´s easy to push them a 1/10 second apart now when needed.

Hi all :)

Build #5 is on the Repo !

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=davegnukem-magicsam

New in build #5
- Dave Gnukem 0.72 (latest git commit from August 5th 2017)
- Compiled with @ptitSeb 's latest beta Code::Blocks (GCC 7.1)
- Updated data directory
- Updated source in src directory
- Updated preview image and project website

N.B.: level editor is available in-game (press F5):

https://github.com/davidjoffe/dave_gnukem/blob/master/README.md#level-editor-instructions

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:
Hmm, I just hit a bug where I played two games in a row and the second game seemed to have reverted the controls to the default ones without any action from myself that I'm aware of.

Also, this time got a lockup after playing a game, redefining the keys and trying to play another game.

Anyone know if this still happens in the latest?

My first guess would be maybe the davegnukem.cfg file doesn't actually get saved (eg maybe it's trying by default to save it into a path where it doesn't have rights or something) and so the keys revert again.

I just tried the latest build, and it remembered my keyconfig after I quit and restarted the game, so I guess that's fixed. And I've not been able to reproduce the crash I experienced since.
Thanks! Let me know if issue comes back or if there are other issues.

So, I just thought I'd give this another spin with my headphones in, and noticed it does in fact have music and effects ;) Unfortunately the volume up and down keys are on pgup and pgdown which happen to be the game buttons on the Pandora (and Pyra, fwiw). MagicSam's original config of using Home and End (the A and B game buttons) doesn't conflict with this, but I prefer to use PgDown and End since those buttons are closer together and making jumping and shooting much easier, but this constantly turns the volume down every time I jump. Could the volume controls be put on a keyboard key or a numeric key for more flexible user remapping on Pandora?

I gave this a try last night. I guess you didn't have time to remap the volume controls for me. But it works well, and the weird line aliens that shoot you are now replaced by cooler looking things, thanks!

Hi all !

Dave Gnukem 0.91 is out:

https://github.com/davidjoffe/dave_gnukem/releases/tag/0.91

Expect an updated package soon :)

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1521058983,1521029695][/doublepost]Hi again ;)

Build #7 is on the Repo:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=davegnukem-magicsam
New in build #7

- Dave Gnukem 0.91 (latest commit on March 11th 2018)
- Compiled with @ptitSeb 's latest beta Code::Blocks (GCC 7.2)
- Updated data, lib and src directories
- Default configuration is now copied to appdata/davegnukem-magicsam/.gnukem

Cheers, Magic Sam

So, I just thought I'd give this another spin with my headphones in, and noticed it does in fact have music and effects ;) Unfortunately the volume up and down keys are on pgup and pgdown which happen to be the game buttons on the Pandora (and Pyra, fwiw).

In the latest github master I've for now re-mapped the default volume up/dn to just plain '7' and '6' keys. Apart from the Pandora problem with PgUp/PgDn, I had problems on my own new laptop with using those, so this just seemed the easiest for now, hope it will resolve that.
[doublepost=1522455414,1522454812][/doublepost]
Dave Gnukem 0.91 is out

Thanks for this! I'm closing in close on something that I think can relatively passably be called a "version 1" of sorts.

I'm not sure if this is the right way to go, but I've just committed a change in github master that does a '#ifdef PANDORA' to do the "iWidth = 320; iHeight = 200;" thing; my thinking is then in Makefile.pandora you could add "-DPANDORA" to the cflags (if that's not enabled by default on Pandora) --- does that seem like the right way to go to you? Then in theory you wouldn't need to patch the source at least.

Also wondering if I/we also add Makefile.pandora to github master or is that premature, hm? This might be clearer to me in a few weeks time, as I may have to make some changes to look at possible packages for major Linux distros, so the main Makefile may change in that process, I'm not sure.

I did extensive level testing and also found a level that couldn't be completed, and fixed that, I've played the game from start to finish so it's completable. Basically almost everything on my todo list for 'version 1' is done now .. basically settled on an albeit small set of 6 levels, as I don't have time to do more than that, if we do more levels will have to be a version 2 or something.

Curious to know what are still outstanding issues for this port? From those mentioned in this thread eg:

* Credits screen lock-up - still an issue?
* Screen resolution related issues?
* Are the default keys sensible for Pandora? (I guess this is Sam's side of things rather than a source code issue? with the default.cfg ... alternatively I don't mind doing #ifdef PANDORA in the source code to have different default keys, but would need to be guided on good choices)
* "I just hit a bug where I played two games in a row and the second game seemed to have reverted the controls to the default ones" is this still an issue?

Feel free to add to the official issue list at github.com/davidjoffe/dave_gnukem if there are port-related bugs/issues still.

*EDIT* Oh yes one last thing @magic_sam you can probably reduce the size of your release package a lot by removing the .git subfolders under 'data' and main etc. - not sure if that was just an oversight or if you're just not too worried about the size etc., or if that was deliberate.

*Edit2* In the latest release, things like savegame, logs, high scores are all saved under getenv("HOME") under a .gnukem subfolder - please let me know if that has any negative implications for the Pandora port functioning or if that's fine.

Last edited:
Back