Daggerfall?

burzum

Still Fresh
This might be a REALLY stupid ask, but would it be possible to port daggerfall to pandora? Its a pretty incredible game. I remember the world being so huge!

thanks

Cal

I haven't heard of this game. Does it have source code available to the general public?

burzum said:
This might be a REALLY stupid ask, but would it be possible to port daggerfall to pandora? Its a pretty incredible game. I remember the world being so huge!

thanks

Cal

If it's The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, possibly. Since it's a DOS game it might run under DOSBox if we can get the performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sources aren't opened, but the game itself as become freeware, just like Elder Scroll: Arena, Command and Conquer, Red alert, Tiberium Sun (or something) and some others.
But some people are trying to recreate game engines for many games Daggerfall included (the man behind this project is planning on a linux port when the game engine will be a bit more complete).
More and more game makers release their old games and I think it's time to rejoice!

That guy on TMO claims it runs ok. I didn't find other sources, though.
Edit: Too dumb to read, shouldn't post when at work :rolleyes: Actually that guy says it runs slow. Those folks over there at TMO run an own DOSBox without dynamic recompiler, though.

Requirements:
486DX2/66 MHZ, DOS 6.0, 8MB RAM, 50MB HD Space, 256-color VGA graphics card, Mouse, Soundcard (Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster 16, AWE 32, Pro Audio Spectrum, Ensoniq Soundscape, Gravis Ultrasound).

rabidpoobear said:
Ran this in Dosbox on a 2.4ghz P4 back in the day, got about 10 FPS. I didn't try to optimize it though.

I doubt it'll run.
It's running fine on my 2.4Ghz mac, but I found it a bit hard to fight with a touchpad.

IIRC, a 66MHz 486 was within possibility for DOSBox, once someone gets around to doing some decent optimizations. It's not out of the question that it will end up quite playable at some point.

As this is relevant I'll paste it here from a previous DOSBox related thread

mali said:
4000-5000cycles @850MHz with dynarec

That 2000 number I had in mind was old info(no overclocking/dynarec)

Pickle said:
Main issue is with the C dynarec in dosbox is that it is not a full dynarec, it only recompiles certain operations, whereas if you had a full dynarec you would be recompiling more operations. At least thats how ive come to understand it.

Gp2x : 800-1000 cycles with dynarec
Pandora: 4000-5000 cycles with dynarec

So the hardware is definitely providing a good amount performance over the Gp2X.
The MIPS backend may be more efficient in recompiling x86 code than ARM is. Although I dont claim to know all the details, someone like exophase/M-HT can probably give some insight into why the difference in performance is there.

How many cycles are typical on the PSP?
Exophase said:
M-HT did several other updates to the ARM recompiler work he did. He also said he's interested in working on it on Pandora once it's out, but that was months ago. You can find out more here:

http://forum.openhandhelds.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=931

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/GAMES:The_Elder_Scrolls_II:_Daggerfall
that site says it needs 10k cycles and we obviously dont have that yet even with overclock.

Back