Cyberpunk Anime

PinkSpider posted on Aug 14 2005 at 04:02 PM said:
Oh and the first GITS film is crap... the Manga is excellent

I actually preferred the anime to the original comic. The first GITS movie suffers from Oshii's style over substance approach, but at least he kept Shirow's technobabble bullshit to a bare minimum. IMHO Appleseed is still his best series...speaking of which, anyone seen the recent CGI movie? I was very unimpressed with the 80's anime version and had high hopes for this one...

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, the CGI movie is ok but not the best prequel ever. I liked the first one although it was one of the first anime's I'd evern seen. My brother thinks its crap aswell.
fucking arse hole. I just watched the second half of GITS2 not even realising it was just the second half.
I'm gonna watch the First half and then second again......bitchin :angry:
Ok, I think I dive into either; FullMetal Achemist or Hellsing soon.

There is one absolutely superb anime movie that i saw a couple months ago called Cat Soup. Its very strange, and somewhat gruesome. :D

cat02.jpg

mmm... am i the only one who was disappointed by Akira the movie..

Visually it was great but the storyline just wasn't any where near as good as the manga.. guess its same way in that the story in a good book doesn't translate as well into the big screen, where a lot of the plot is lost due to itbeing condensed into the average length of 2 hours of a feature.

Axeman posted on Aug 15 2005 at 10:02 PM said:
Akira was the only anime I ever really got into. Maybe I should try some more....
Buy the Manga... they are very different with the Manga having about 20x more story!

PinkSpider posted on Aug 16 2005 at 06:07 PM said:
Axeman posted on Aug 15 2005 at 10:02 PM said:
Akira was the only anime I ever really got into. Maybe I should try some more....
Buy the Manga... they are very different with the Manga having about 20x more story!
true, only manga I've ever bought and had a real life copy of.

Every time I buy a manga of a film ive seen ive realised how much great stuff they have taken out of the movie, Akira, GITS and Mononoke Hime and also Rurouni Kenshin is very different in the Anime with much of the story completely changed.

Well its safe to say I loved GITS2I but I ruined the film by watching the second part first. Although I can't remeber what happened, so I might have to watch it again.

Battle Royale is also a good example of the manga outdoing the film

in the manga and the novel, the characters struggles and relationships are described in a much greater detail, so it has more of an affect when they start killing each other

anime series:
The last exile- My favorite anime (I haven't seen that much , but this is great) YOU NEED TO SEE IT (WARNING: some soap-opera-ish episodes)

Cowboy bebop-good show, haven't seen the whole thing (about the first 20 or so episodes)

gatekeepers 21- ok, kinda short and stupid... but i was bored and nothing else was on tv

movies:
nausicaa-ok, but not nearly as good the other movies by the same company

princess mononoke-very good movie

spirited away- very well done, I didn't really get into it though

castle in the sky-my favorite ghibli movie. Very entertaining.

manga:
trigun 1 & 2- While I enjoyed many parts of it, I found parts difficult to follow and much of the story poorly thought out.

megatokyo-I absolutely love this webcomic/manga. It has great humor, art, and story. I would definitely recommend this, and because its free you have no excuse not to try it. Just don't give up on it right away if you don't like it, the story, art, and humor gets much better as it progresses.

Back