Cyber Gp32

toholl posted on Sep 9 2004 at 07:26 AM said:
Be carefull: max641 can only deliver 50mA. Many USB devices are consuming more than 50mA.
Normally, USB port must support as much as 500mA.

Why do people keep thinking that... I don't know where you got your information, but you read the datasheet, or the Quickview. you'd notice this little column (This is on the quickview)

Typ. IOUT (A)

Translates to, typical current out, 1.5 amps. Also, it's virtually unlimited if you use external stuff. I'm using a MOSFET which can handle up to 6A at 50v. I'm also using the external diode. So basically, NO internal components (of the chip) have to handle the output voltage.

Hope this clears some stuff up

Last edited by a moderator:
Tristan posted on Sep 9 2004 at 04:50 PM said:
toholl posted on Sep 9 2004 at 07:26 AM said:
Be carefull: max641 can only deliver 50mA. Many USB devices are consuming more than 50mA.
Normally, USB port must support as much as 500mA.

Why do people keep thinking that... I don't know where you got your information, but you read the datasheet, or the Quickview. you'd notice this little column (This is on the quickview)

Typ. IOUT (A)

Translates to, typical current out, 1.5 amps. Also, it's virtually unlimited if you use external stuff. I'm using a MOSFET which can handle up to 6A at 50v. I'm also using the external diode. So basically, NO internal components (of the chip) have to handle the output voltage.

Hope this clears some stuff up

Hum, it seems that I was sleepy when I wrote that. Datasheet doesn't say 50mA but 400mA of internal output current.
And yes, if you use external MOSFETs, you will have no limitation.
Ok, I must write 1000 times:
I'm not a electronician, I'm a hobbyist.

Thing is, I'm also a hobbyist, certainly not electrician :D Anyway, The MAX641 should arrive either tomorrow, or the day after that. With any luck I'll have the PCB finished by then, the kernel with the ethernet support built (And the USB drivers.) And all I have to do then is see if I can get this thing going!

P.S.

If I use the drivers included in the kernel, I don't have to build any kind of module, right?

Tristan posted on Sep 9 2004 at 07:44 PM said:
Thing is, I'm also a hobbyist, certainly not electrician :D Anyway, The MAX641 should arrive either tomorrow, or the day after that. With any luck I'll have the PCB finished by then, the kernel with the ethernet support built (And the USB drivers.) And all I have to do then is see if I can get this thing going!

P.S.

If I use the drivers included in the kernel, I don't have to build any kind of module, right?
Right. A module is a loadable driver. If you have compiled the kernel with static driver included (not in module), driver is activated when kernel starts.
Modules are above all used to reduce memory usage: you load them on demand with new material plugged. But if you always have the same material, you just have to include the corresponding drivers inside the kernel as static (not module).

ingeras posted on Sep 9 2004 at 10:50 PM said:
when someone build something so i can power my usb hub
with some AA batteries msg me
so i can do some wardriving ;)
just use the voltage converter circut a few pages ago but connect it to the hub?
or how is the hub normaly powered? (most likely 9v?) than youjust could take 6 batterys.

Vimacs posted on Sep 9 2004 at 08:54 PM said:
ingeras posted on Sep 9 2004 at 10:50 PM said:
when someone build something so i can power my usb hub
with some AA batteries msg me
so i can do some wardriving ;)
just use the voltage converter circut a few pages ago but connect it to the hub?
or how is the hub normaly powered? (most likely 9v?) than youjust could take 6 batterys.
5V
well, if someone can build it for me and send it to me ....
;)

Thanks for your continuing hard work. I'm gonna buy a gp32 just for this, well the excuse to buy it is cause it would be educational :p I suspect a few classic games might find their way on there as well.
The potential of the gp32 to become an arm dev board is huge.
I'll try some cross compilation soon but at the moment the only linux platform I have is on ppc. :(

Anyway in terms of a browser, it seems no one has much idea when the dillo port is expected or even how fast the process is going... Have you looked into Viewml? I don't know much about it but it's a lightweight browser for fltk based on the kde's source so should be quite up to date. Plus I believe it has been succesfully compiled for arm in the past.

idlewild posted on Sep 10 2004 at 02:44 PM said:
Thanks for your continuing hard work. I'm gonna buy a gp32 just for this, well the excuse to buy it is cause it would be educational :p I suspect a few classic games might find their way on there as well.
I'll try some cross compilation soon but at the moment the only linux platform I have is on ppc. :(

Anyway in terms of a browser, it seems no one has much idea when the dillo port is expected or even how fast the process is going... Have you looked into Viewml? I don't know much about it but it's a lightweight browser for fltk based on the kde's source so should be quite up to date. Plus I believe it has been succesfully compiled for arm in the past.

Hey which PPC do you have?

sam fisher posted on Sep 10 2004 at 06:12 PM said:
Any chance of putting the linux server up one more time?
Ok, lets go one more night B)
Server up in 10 minutes...

unlucky posted on Sep 10 2004 at 06:43 PM said:
wow wifi would be awesome ! And maybe in a few months / years an msn messenger type thing could pop up
>i have a text based msn client in the stuff waiting to be compiled ....
--------------------------------------------

> indeed
I'll try some cross compilation soon but at the moment the only linux platform I have is on ppc.
> thats enough to crosscompile
-----------------------------------------------

Anyway in terms of a browser, it seems no one has much idea when the dillo port is expected or even how fast the process is going...
> soon i hope

Have you looked into Viewml? I don't know much about it but it's a lightweight browser for fltk based on the kde's source so should be quite up to date. Plus I believe it has been succesfully compiled for arm in the past.
> not so up to date
> hard to cross compile
> i compiled libwww on ipaq cluster, that s a first step
----------------------------------------
about the wifi driver check
ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/CHANGES
i can compile 0.2.1-pre16

according to the url above, working devices are
------------
T-Sinus 111 USB WlAN Adapter"
Airvast Prism3 USB
Planex GW-US11H USB
Averatec USB Wlan
D-Link DWL-122 USB
ASUS-WL140 Wireless USB
ZyDAS ZD1201 Wireless USB Adapter
Adaptec AWN-8030/AWN-8020,
Netgear MA111
JVC MP-XP7250" USB
Melco WLI-USB-KS11G
ZyXEL ZyAir B200 Wireless USB
and others
i use netgear ma111 , 30 € , good device :)

ftp and telnet clients are working
so now you can play your favourite mud [ online text rpg ]

still some work for the irc and msn/icq clients ...
but well, i dont have much time and we are a bit alone working on this ....

Back