Custom Pandora Case

WoD posted on May 28 2009 at 01:42 PM) I think that [URL="http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=4467&t_mode=des&affiliate=Gadgetoid said:
this would fit the Pandora[/URL]. It's not very pretty, but it's an option. I will test it when I've got my hands on one (the Pandora, that is"].

Disclaimer: Yes it's an affiliate link. But it's topical, and also gives you a discount, so please don't kill me!

They sell a generic belt holster, too, that might fit the Pandora, but you need to supply me photographic evidence that you posses a beard and run linux on your primary desktop before I'll link it.
The Panther Pack is just a smaller version of Proporta's Gadget Bag. I'd suggest getting the Gadget bag, you can carry around more than just your Pandora with it. I got it about a year and a half ago in anticipation of my Pandora, and have been using it in the mean time. With room to spare, I can fit my DS, DS game holder, GP2X, Sandisk Sansa, Soundwave MP3 Player, 3 sets of headphones, the X-mini Capsule speaker, the Proporta USB mobile device charger, and power cables for all of those devices. It's a great product.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
@WoD, any idea about pricing? Your design looks really good, although I would prefer black or grey, but I'm not sure about the color.
Good work!

God Ginrai posted on May 30 2009 at 05:33 AM said:
The Panther Pack is just a smaller version of Proporta's Gadget Bag. [snip] It's a great product.
Absolutely right on both counts. I got one for review when I first got my Samsung NC10, hoping it would fit. It didn't. But the gadget bag has proven absolutely perfect for a whole plethora of uses. I tend to carry around my hardware in the Proporta protective laptop bag at the moment, and put all the chargers in the Gadget bag to keep them safely away from anything the plugs might scratch or damage.

I can also fit a small mixing desk, power supply and cables in it, which I run my bass guitar through for practise.

Just about fits a Wii, too.

Proporta make some really nice stuff, but at the moment I'm really digging the new iPhone cases from Sena.

Obligtory link that gets you a Gadget Bag for £21.69 (click buy, scroll down)

It's a little overkill for a Pandora, but if you've got other devices to carry around it's great, and good for adding extra pockets and protection for gadgets in a larger bag.

Edit: As for pricing, I don't know yet. When I'm proto-typing I will be eventually using custom cut and shaped aluminium and brushed aluminium which could get expensive. Also, I would like to use genuine leather. I'm popping into the great indoors today to pick up some thick card, fake leather and other gubbins with which to make a very rough proto.

Blue wouldn't be my first choice, either, I just couldn't be bothered to tint the texture :)

I'm currently making a most probably very ill fitting proto-type in black and burgandy leatherette. The SD card slots are working out well. Will get photos up shortly.

My hand stiching is abysmal!

Edit: Photos for your perusal: (this is my first, ever, try at stiching together a case. I really need some good sharp scissors (and a ruler) to cut the leatherette straight for the next one. It's lined with cardboard and held together with copious amounts of UHU.

CaseClosed.jpg

CaseOpen.jpg

CaseSide.jpg

CaseSD.jpg

Not bad for mk1. Does this make you a Dev? Send this man a case to test this with.

Internal view exposes some gathering. No rear cut out and where's the brushed aluminium? You've had all afternoon FGS :D

No, just had the NDS in my hands - its a realistic size.
Personally I think it should have free sections for R and L so you can listen to music while the case is closed. But there are enough NDS cases etc so I doubt I will get one of these.

PS: Was it necessary to quote so many pics?

God Ginrai posted on May 30 2009 at 10:29 PM said:
Either you have Gigantic hands, or that case is too small to cover the Pandora.
It's wide enough, more or less, but not deep enough. This is a throw-away proto on which I've taken far too many shortcuts. But you're more or less right on the latter.

But, hey, it's taking shape. And is something constructive to do that doesn't revolve around sitting in front of a computer- I'm sure a few people would rather I finished porting Penguin Command, though.

If I can't get something similar manufactured, then I'll just make a few myself (to a much higher quality than this) and run a competition or something for them.

Sewing machines can sew betterer than I, dontchaknow... also I bent the needle trying to push it through cardboard, and pricked my finger a few times... according to Disney I should be sleeping for the next 300 years.

JayFoxRox posted on May 30 2009 at 05:43 PM said:
PS: Was it necessary to quote so many pics?
To tell you the truth, it didn't even cross my mind that I was quoting so many images. So, no, it was not necessary, I just didn't think to edit them out.

-God Ginrai

Introducing MK2. Now too big! But markedly better craftmanship, up until the fustercluck that is the rear cutout.

CaseSD.jpg

CaseOpenDS.jpg

CaseSide.jpg

CaseOpen.jpg

It's definitely not pocketable.

It's the part that actually attaches the Pandora to the case that I'm curious about.

At the moment the device would probably slide out the sides when closed, and would definitely fall out when you opened it.

You mentioned "aluminium clasps" at the start, so you've obviously considered it; I'm interested to see what you envisage they might be.

Back