Custom Made Portable Contest On The Benheck Forums!

palmertech

Hi all! There is a portable contest on the benheck forums right now, there are entries ranging from portable SNES, portable N64, a GBA in a GBO case with GPS, motion sensing, bluetooth transmitter, FM radio, universal IR remote, and more... Yeah, that was a shameless plug for my entry. :lol: Anyway, check it out, there is a lot of cool stuff. And if you happen to have an account there, cast your vote for he whom you deem best!

LINKY: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=25841

palmertech said:
Hi all! There is a portable contest on the benheck forums right now, there are entries ranging from portable SNES, portable N64, a GBA in a GBO case with GPS, motion sensing, bluetooth transmitter, FM radio, universal IR remote, and more... Yeah, that was a shameless plug for my entry. :lol: Anyway, check it out, there is a lot of cool stuff. And if you happen to have an account there, cast your vote for he whom you deem best!

LINKY: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=25841

Sweet, voted (I looked around the main benheck page when bacteria mentioned the comp, but I didn't see any links:( If you hadn't posted I would have missed it).

I love that SNES in the case, and the GBA in the original GameBoy "brick". (Edit: Oh, that is yours, sorry I voted you third)

I voted for Bacteria too because his multiple system "carts" were just too cool (plus I dig Sega and his was the only Sega portable :p)

Last edited by a moderator:
Palmertech, yours is amazing, you can tell so much more effort went in than your competitors. I hope you win!

Nova said:
Palmertech, yours is amazing, you can tell so much more effort went in than your competitors. I hope you win!
?? I am not seeing it. I can't find the build pages and the pictures don't reveal that to me. (not bashing, I just don't see where you gathered the information.)

I love the product and the execution, and respect the work Palmertech, I think the idea was also a brilliant one, Nintendo into retro Nintendo case.

Oh, I see you couldn't use your camera. Those pics are pretty amazing considering.

Personally the thing I liked the most was the re-enforced 90° cart connector on that NES, no ribbon cable and braced to the PCB, just like it should be.

Edit: I see, his description mentions all the add-on hardware he put inside.

That is interesting technically I suppose, but I don't know as it sways me (My radio is an SRF-83, and my remote is a URC-6012 with a rom chip for JP1, custom programmed for any device I own or can get in the future, I am biased as to quality of the add-ons in this regard).

Nova said:
I have to agree with nubie... Yes, it did take a LOT of work, but the other people have spent a lot of time as well. And the wood portables.... I suck at wood. ;)

@nubie: Thanks for the vote, I am glad you were not biased by who it was. ;)
I can see why you may be less impressed, but most people are clueless about how stuff like this can even be done! :lol: Wait till you see my next mod... In fact, PM me, I can send you some pics, I would love feedback. :)

You missed the drama, but the contest ended in 20 minutes, and I could not get my camera working, so I just entered it without pics, and posted them from my n800 a few hours later.

Have any advice on fixing my NMEA data output on the GPS?

palmertech said:
Nova said:
I have to agree with nubie... Yes, it did take a LOT of work, but the other people have spent a lot of time as well. And the wood portables.... I suck at wood. ;)

@nubie: Thanks for the vote, I am glad you were not biased by who it was. ;)
I can see why you may be less impressed, but most people are clueless about how stuff like this can even be done! :lol: Wait till you see my next mod... In fact, PM me, I can send you some pics, I would love feedback. :)

You missed the drama, but the contest ended in 20 minutes, and I could not get my camera working, so I just entered it without pics, and posted them from my n800 a few hours later.

Have any advice on fixing my NMEA data output on the GPS?

Never had a chance to play with GPS, sorry.

I just saw a comment in the voting thread (I didn't think I should comment, just vote), and I didn't realize that Brian was doing another SNES after several.

The comment was to the effect that he had experience. I was just impressed with the polish and solidity of the whole mod (including that sick right angle mod on the cart slot, he braced it to the PCB and didn't use ribbon cable!)

I am so sorry that your camera didn't work, I went back and double-checked your posts and was impressed that you got any picture at all considering. I liked your portable a lot, almost enough to swap you and Bacteria if I didn't like Sega and multi-machine so much. Plus he started from scratch on the case and didn't even use a mill :blink: , that deserves respect.

When you get pics I would love to see how you managed to get all that stuff inside. (I assume the GPS is connected externally?).

I guess I don't feel too bad because you are third and Bacteria is 5th, you are going strong (somehow everybody loves Life of Brian's, must be the well produced video.)

Yo Palmertech, kudos on the Power Gameboy. That is one sweet custom handheld to have. How did you get all the additional hardware crammed in there? Also, what kind of battery do you use? Standard GBA SP lithium Ion battery that comes with it?

@Nubie: This was Brians 4th SNESp, so some people are not too impressed. ;) It is certainly a very good job, though. Also, the case he used was a premade case from polycase, an AG85 series one. A lot of people consider that to be "lame" because you get all the smooth curves, without the amount of work it normally takes. It also means that there are at least a few other portables out there that look exactly the same.;) The reason he is pwning is his huge loyal youtube subscriber list going in to vote for him. :rolleyes: Personally, I am still very impressed with it.

GPS is mounted internally. :) I am wondering if the problems I am having are related to EMI interference from the all the other stuff inside along with it... :( I have a few ideas to remedy that, though.

@xnopasaranx: I managed to free up a lot of space by removing the AA slot, as well as my GBA cart slot relocation. I will gladly post pics as soon as I am able to. It is pretty cram jammed full. ;)

As far as the battery, try reading my list again. ;) The stock GBA SP battery is 600mah, I replaced it with a 2000mah li-ion cell.

Back