Cube Engine Viable Port?

phantomgannon

Still Fresh
Hi
I'm new to this forum so excuse my ignorance but would the Cube Engine (www.cubeengine.com) be a viable port to the Gpx2 since it already runs on Linux?
Seems like cool open source 3d Engine & Game. It's got a built in level editor....

I'm pretty sure the cube engine requires hardware 3d - the quake engine makes more sense to use on the gp2x imo.

The next version of Cube engine has a better in game editor. Sadly I guess it would require 3d acceleration. Alot of things could probably be done with Quake though. That is, if anyone even tries to.

Well, ThunderZ ported across the Yeti3D engine (EDIT: for the GP32, that is, as I'm sure you're aware), which is the same concept of Cube except scaled down rather than up - iirc, the idea of Cube was to take an old-ish rendering technique, and scale it up to modern processors and end up with an amazing looking engine.

Yeti3D does exactly the same thing, but scales it down for slower machines (e.g. GBA or GP32 - although I don't believe anything was ever actually made with the GP32 port, possibly bar something by RTB7 before he decided there were too many people bugging him for stuff and left the scene). The result, of course, is something that doesn't do as much, but still looks splendid on the target machines - case in point, that last tech demo!

We can but hope. Although the engine is only worth having if someone eventually does something with it. Though of course, its impossible to know if anyone *will* without the engine being there in the first place :(

Well, the one that was released for general consumption was the one without MD2 model support (Yeti Basic) which of course didn't require a license fee. With support, bendey corridors, and better lighting, (Yeti Pro) it would have cost something to fev with. As I'm sure you're aware, the recent tech-demo is on Yeti Pro. Unless I'm very much mistaken at least.

That said, its perfectly possible to add MD2 support yourself... RTB7 did so :). You just have to be a bit of a l33t coder lol.

An interesting project might be to make a better map editor that outputted to a module, after adding the various features needed to the basic engine. Might make it more useful for the layperson in terms of map-making.

Back