CS student Looking for a ReBirth or 1Ghz Pandora

Ghostcart

Hi folks. I'm an aspiring programmer currently attending college for my computer science degree.

A pandora looks like the perfect thing to bring to class, provided I can convince the professors that it isn't a toy.  A super portable linux device is just what I need to code on the go.

However, I can't afford a full price unit on my Poor College Student budget.

That being the case, I'm hoping someone here is willing to sell a used Rebirth or 1Ghz model.

I don't mind scuffs or scratches, as long as everything works well.

My budget is around the $300 range (Low, I know).

I can pay promptly via google wallet or paypal.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11299-original-black-first-batch-256mb600mhz-pandora-for-sale/

There is that one for sale here on the boards. It needs a few minor repairs though. He might lower the price if you make an offer. Evildragon has lcd cables, cases etc for sale on dragonbox.de. There is also ithic.com in the usa.
Ah, I'm not very confident in my repair skills at this time. I've been focusing on software rather than hardware.

It also looks like that person wants a EU buyer, and I'm in the US.

I looked at ithic.com, however it is not carrying any discounted units right now.

Thank you for posting, though!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^^sure. Dunno if evildragon has any refurbished units at the moment. Some were sold before with no working bluetooth etc.

A CC 256M is fine for the desktop, but you may have to create some swap/swapfile on SD for some apps.

A super portable linux device is just what I need to code on the go.

yeh i know, its been a while. but if your still looking, you should consider this:

coding on the go with the builtin keyboard is possible, but cumbersome.

the keyboard itself is quite awesome, actually. its the size that limts its usability.

you dont want to write lots of code that way, trust me.

its perfect for some occasional bash hacking, tho :)

^  I agreed with almost all of that and maybe you meant to say something else, but the size does NOT limit it's usability.  On the contrary.  I've slipped this thing in my pocket and went out with friends - surfed the web and played games in tight places. Some people didn't even notice, others did and were intrigued.  In all of these occasions I couldn't have felt comfortable lugging around a laptop.  I had my "laptop" in my left pocket, ready to roll...at a moments notice.  Heck, once I charged a woman's cell phone with this magnificent battery.  Nothing limits this thing except you imagination or dream of Playstation2 emulation...(a hand slaps my face from out of no where)...ouch, sorry.

i was talking about the usability of the keyboard, not the pandora.

the overall small pocket size of the device is nothing but awesome, as you jolly described it.

but the size forces you to type with your thumbs while holding the device. this is cumbersome for three main reasons:

1) we are not used to that and it drives us crazy unless we get used to it

2) its way slower(!) than 10 finger typing

3) the button layout is somewhat freaky (but can be adjusted on the soft side)

if the OP intended to write lots of code on the keyboard (thats what i read, at least), im afraid he wont enjoy it that much. a netbook or laptop with a realsize keyboard would be a much better choice (not necessarily a better device!) in that case.

seeing that hes on a poor college student budget (the OP initially invested a good deal of effort in pointing that out) i recon its only fair to tell him.

but your absolutely right, franko. the pandora is awesome in almost every aspect due to its small size :)

Is there anything pocket-sized on the market thats better for typing?

For coding, the pandora has easy access to non-standard characters []{}();<>=+-_*&\/|, and it has a spectacularly hackable software environment.

Okay, I grant you that conceit at least, KickAss.  Due to the actual size of the device, the built-in keyboard is less "functional" or harder to type on than a traditional external keyboard.  That's just the nature of things and their physical size limitations.  The miniaturization of powerful computer devices is still searching for that perfect "tactile" interface that remains portable but suits our current needs for data entry.  I have this version of the Stowaway bluetooth keyboard (I didn't realize until now that they released a newer version back in 2010 - looks even smaller than mine).

It works great, is pocketable and has most of the desirable surface area that my fingers want....but in a small space, you need what the Pandora brings to the table.  There are always options...

I also completely understand where you're coming from now.  PEACE.

Well, I was bidding on this, but it went out of my price range.

Someone else might want it though!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Open-Pandora-ReBirth-Edition-1st-batch-case-Handheld-Game-System-Linux-more-/321050992745
Did you end up getting one?  Because I am thinking about selling mine and guess what.....it is that same one here is my Ebay feed back page look at the item number for the feedback 5th down the page 

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=alucardwest&ftab=AllFeedback

If interested I am selling it cheap and I am about to post it in the trading area with pictures.

Back