Crystals Of Xaz Wip

Atari

Still Fresh
I started out playing around with the Fenix source code for a GP2X/32x game called Istappen (source posted at http://fenixonfire.gp32x.de/html/sources.html), testing some music, sound, and graphics loading code as a way to test the limits of Fenix on Dreamcast, and ended up adding more and more features to the code. It's now to the point where it's become a full-fledged, albeit unfinished, game of its own. The original game has the player dodging icicles and grabbing packages as they fall. One hit and you're dead; game over. I've added music (excerpts of my own ambient compositions), sounds, new background and mode7 graphics, other new graphics (all placeholders at the moment), a player energy routine, powerups (energy and lasers only at the moment), a routine to count chains, and some other code cleanups. It's become quite a fun and addicting game in its own right so far, but I've got a lot to add and a lot of work to do to bring it up to my own high standards for a completely fun game. Once it's finished, I'll be releasing it with full source code so that others may learn from my experience. Here's a screenshot of the current WIP:

coxwip.jpg

The game is being written primarily for the Dreamcast, but it should be able to run on any of the Gamepark consoles when it's finished (although I don't know the limits of the GP handhelds; I don't own one). I've got a lot to add to it; levels, more enemies, some bonus features, Quiest and Moogle's sprite fonts code, better graphics, more powerups, and other features that'll make it a simple, yet full-featured game similar to the ones I played in the 80s in the arcades.

Moogle posted on Oct 11 2006 at 06:55 AM said:
Sounds good, are you sure you don't have some little playable preview thingy somewhere for us to try? :) Good luck anyhow!

I'm considering it. I'd like to clean up a lot of the debugging code that I have in it, plus finish up some features that I've added but haven't quite implemented yet. Maybe I'll post a "proof of concept" demo in the very near future :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good, keep us posted! :) We definitely need some nice mode7 games, that's an engine that was scarcely used on any platforms 'xcept the SNES.

- Alex

Quiest posted on Oct 12 2006 at 01:05 PM said:
Nicynice!

Great to see you again, what happened to your Blimbbombing game?

Lost the source, along with my PC, to an ex-girlfriend. Lost a bunch of stuff I had to her, in fact. Women...

But no big deal... I could always rewrite it again, and most likely will down the road, as I would still love to play Balloon Bomber on the DC, and the work I had already done proved that it could easily be implemented :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back