Crimbo

Phycho Doughboy posted on Dec 7 2004 at 04:35 PM said:
Comedy:
Pumi Pumi Puemi
Excel Saga

I'd go for Azumanga Daioh. Or if you really want a parody show, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is better than Excel Saga. Agree with the rest though.

Also, get official DVDs if you can. Bootlegs are a risky business and really not worth the bother. ADV are releasing a collected version of Evangelion this month and most series can be imported from the US/Japan (make sure they have subs though!) pretty cheaply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huxley posted on Dec 8 2004 at 10:01 AM said:
Phycho Doughboy posted on Dec 7 2004 at 04:35 PM said:
Comedy:
Pumi Pumi Puemi
Excel Saga

I'd go for Azumanga Daioh. Or if you really want a parody show, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi is better than Excel Saga. Agree with the rest though.

Also, get official DVDs if you can. Bootlegs are a risky business and really not worth the bother. ADV are releasing a collected version of Evangelion this month and most series can be imported from the US/Japan (make sure they have subs though!) pretty cheaply.
lol I was hoping you'd reply.
So any other greats you could recommend? Thanks.
EDIT: is this all of them?
It's just there's two sets : /
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000...01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If you want a surefire winner Phycho Doughboy's list was pretty much spot on bar Excel Saga (which is probably too obscure for most). Although if you didn't like Boogiepop Phantom I'd steer clear of Lain, they're very similar series in many ways.

I'd add to his list any Studio Ghibli film (Castle of Cagliostro, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away have been released in the UK), Martian Successor Nadesico and Giant Robo (not available on DVD yet :( ).

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but any one of those would be a good starting point!

EDIT: Yeah, that's the whole series. That doesn't include the director's cut but you don't really need it unless you're a completist. Oh, and make sure you pick up the movies at some point! I still haven't bought The End of Evangelion yet :unsure:

Huxley posted on Dec 8 2004 at 04:55 PM said:
If you want a surefire winner Phycho Doughboy's list was pretty much spot on bar Excel Saga (which is probably too obscure for most). Although if you didn't like Boogiepop Phantom I'd steer clear of Lain, they're very similar series in many ways.

I'd add to his list any Studio Ghibli film (Castle of Cagliostro, Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away have been released in the UK), Martian Successor Nadesico and Giant Robo (not available on DVD yet :( ).

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but any one of those would be a good starting point!

EDIT: Yeah, that's the whole series. That doesn't include the director's cut but you don't really need it unless you're a completist. Oh, and make sure you pick up the movies at some point! I still haven't bought The End of Evangelion yet :unsure:
I've already dl'd and watched:
Castle in the Sky
Princess Mononoke (just odered)
Spirited Away
Grave of the Fireflies (just odered)

btw, what do you think of Boogiepop Phantom. I wo0uld've liked it a few years ago being all grim and all lol. but now it just seems like a mpey pile of Gary. hehe

Huxley posted on Dec 8 2004 at 05:55 PM said:
PPP is more obscure, and that was on the list too. And dammit, Excel Saga has a coherent albeit contrived plot that gets fairly attached towards the end; at least it did for me.

Phycho, I'm interested in your list because I enjoyed PPP and Excel Saga and especially the first episode of Cowboy Bebop (I'll watch the rest when I get some time). So if you can offer me anything along CB's lines I'll pick it up. Also, is Jubei the same guy from Ninja Scroll? Or am I just wishing.

Also a prize to the guy who can name the anime where a guy fights with his nostril-hair.

btw, what do you think of Boogiepop Phantom. I wo0uld've liked it a few years ago being all grim and all lol. but now it just seems like a mpey pile of Gary. hehe

I really like Boogiepop Phantom...it was all a bit confusing to begin with but things become clearer during the final few episodes. I liked the non-linear narrative and visual style of that series. Lain is probably the better of the two but its a close call in my mind.

Rico posted on Dec 8 2004 at 07:52 PM said:
PPP is more obscure, and that was on the list too. And dammit, Excel Saga has a coherent albeit contrived plot that gets fairly attached towards the end; at least it did for me.

Phycho, I'm interested in your list because I enjoyed PPP and Excel Saga and especially the first episode of Cowboy Bebop (I'll watch the rest when I get some time). So if you can offer me anything along CB's lines I'll pick it up. Also, is Jubei the same guy from Ninja Scroll? Or am I just wishing.

Also a prize to the guy who can name the anime where a guy fights with his nostril-hair.

PPP is a spin-off from Excel Saga so I'd class them in the same category (my bad not mentioning the connection!). And I did enjoy them, but you must agree that they're not exactly suited to an anime newcomer.

Yagyu Jubei was a real person. He's become a kind of legendary figure like Robin Hood - http://www.japan-101.com/history/yagyu_jubei_mitsuyoshi.htm. You can find him in Lone Wolf & Cub, Ninja Scroll and the Samurai Showdown games.

And if you liked CB I'd recommened Samurai Champloo...I've not seen it myself but its from the same director and has a cool hiphop soundtrack. Looks great - http://www.samuraichamploo.com/

Huxley posted on Dec 8 2004 at 12:55 PM said:
Yea but I'm into very obscure/random comedy and tend to forget that other people just think "WTF??".
And yea, good call on the Lain but I still think thats a great anime... :)

Anime wise:

- Anythign by ghibli
- GITS: Stand Alone Complex
- Cowboy Bebop
- Hellsing
- Trigun (when the fuck is this gonna see a uk release?)
- Samurai X aka Rurouni Kenshin

All I can think of after not sleeping for days :(

I didn't watch it, those who did said it was utter trite which wasn't even funny except for how crap it was. Much like a bad joke.

Back