Crap Games Comp...

woogal posted on Feb 14 2005 at 02:58 PM said:
Apeiron posted on Feb 12 2005 at 11:34 PM said:
Is it me or is the crap games competion just a reason to be mean to thier creators.
The competition has 2 main reasons for existing. Being mean to coders is just an interesting bonus ;)

The reasons are -

1. To allow skilled coders to have a bit of fun. We don't get out much.
2. To encourage new developers. I would imagine there are many people out there who would like to code but look at some of the great homebrew available and think to themselves 'I'd never be able to do anything like that :('. My hope is that this compo will give some of those people the confidence to start coding and create some crap of their own. Hopefully they will then realise that you can't create a masterpiece without having created several tons of crap first. If this competition creates just one new coder who then goes on to produce some great games then I will feel that it has been a success.

That would be me then :D

joking

I think having a crap coding competition is a cool thing to do, it gets everyone involved and we can all laugh at how crap we all are, or at least, what we've produced for the competition.

LA!

BYEEEEE!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent in a game to the crap games competition. It's pretty bad. There's a badly drawn picture of a guy and everytime you press a button, his eye twitches. Kind of like a wink, but a lot faster. Maybe I'll add the screenshot to my signature..... Then you can all see how crap my artwork is before even seeing the game in the competition. People did find it kind of funny, though. Which kind of worries me, as a funny game probably isn't very likely to win a crap competition.

Apeiron posted on Feb 13 2005 at 09:07 AM said:
Yes I know you know, that what I find funny. Don't you wish sometimes you could be mean and not care? thats what it's like for the judges.

If I were entering it as a developer, I'd feel honoured to have woogal really trash-talk my submission in his review! Wouldn't you? (probably not... I think your sense of humour is little out-of-whack with everyone else's here; we're not laughing at other people's suffering, as you seem to think we are)

Anyway, the BEST (whoops, WORST) crappy game so far is Gabba Bros, hands down! :) It must have taken real skill to make Fenix completely crash and reset your gp32 in such an amusing fashion when you fall off the unfinished level. I think that it's exactly this kind of creative crappiness that should be honoured. The kind that makes you laugh at how crappy it is, not simply say, "this is pretty bad"!

EDIT: Come to think of it, the one-player Pong game is a close second for the title of ultimate crappiness.

It totally sucks, it made me shoot my girlfriend's cat

fFeel any beter now :p and indeed it's funny litle program :D

My hope is that this compo will give some of those people the confidence to start coding and create some crap of their own. Hopefully they will then realise that you can't create a masterpiece without having created several tons of crap first.

That statement is surely the truth! I am only through the first half ton thus far. I figure two or three more tons of crap at most and I should be good to go.

Dalto posted on Feb 16 2005 at 02:41 AM said:
My hope is that this compo will give some of those people the confidence to start coding and create some crap of their own. Hopefully they will then realise that you can't create a masterpiece without having created several tons of crap first.

That statement is surely the truth! I am only through the first half ton thus far. I figure two or three more tons of crap at most and I should be good to go.
Woohoo! By the way, where the hell did you go?

Back