Craig, What's The Production Volume Of The First Batch?

jake37

Still Fresh
Website
www.jockusch.de
Hey Craig, or any other member of the "inner circle"!

If you get around to it, could you tell the actual number of Pandoras in the first batch? I'm sure others are also curious about that. 3000 were planned, but as far as I gathered, you actually are producing much more.

Just how much hasn't been talked about anywhere, but selling out by pre-order in just a few days is quite an achievement. From a publicity and admiration point of view, I think the number of units produced is really interesting information.

Another thing that comes to my mind. Will the batch number be visible on the packaging and/or the device? That could make "first batch Pandoras" quite a trophy in the long run.

I say that because I really believe that the Pandora will take off and become quite a popular platform, maybe much more so than the GP2X did, which already performed very well.

- Ján

~ 3800 pre-ordered, 4000 being produced. The surplus will be used for spare parts, replacements for broken units, promotional giveaways, and dev units.

smart move. I wondered what was going to happen about replacements if they were still limited to 3000, but no need to worry now :)

I for one would be curious where the 3000 mark was actually hit.
2000 in 6 hours is impressive, but how long did that last 1000 take? I know someone who need not be named ( ;) ) was planning to wait 24 hours before getting into the preorder. I wonder if that person would have gotten one if they'd stuck with just 3000.
Truth be told, I was also in the "it'll take several days at least to sell out" camp. Didn't keep me from preordering the instant I could though :D

jake37 said:
That could make "first batch Pandoras" quite a trophy in the long run.
Yep, sat on a shelf, not working, collecting dust ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
~ 3800 pre-ordered, 4000 being produced. The surplus will be used for spare parts, replacements for broken units, promotional giveaways, and dev units.
Thanks Squidge and Chip for the information! I think it's quite astonishing how well that plan worked out so far. Congratulations to all involved! I hope there'll be enough profit to get continuous production rolling, because being able to buy from stock will surely attract many more people to the machine.

And, I really hope there'll be a simple-to-use SDK for the Pandora, I can't wait to do some hacking!

@WizardStan: An approximate time that the 3000 mark was hit would really be good, at least for publicity purposes. Something along: "Pandora: the machine people ached so much to get it took just x hours to sell out". Makes it almost look like the iPhone, in a way...

@mrsnature: I know it's an ironic comment, and I really think it's much too pessimistic. I well remember the earliest Amiga 1000 models becoming collector's items because of the designers' signatures on the inside of the casing, and not because they were not working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back