Cradle Power Supply Tragedy

Wonderbutt

Still Fresh
Oh, the humanity. I live in New York, and I have been all over to find a simple power cord for the cradle.
Even in this city, I cannot find it.
Sadly, the geniuses at GPH did not include a power supply for the unit.
It require a 5V 3MA cord, and i was wondering, if a 6volt cord would do? OR something with less MA?
I don't want to damage my unit, but does someone know a work around here?
(Yes, I have looked online, and cannot seem to find one).

i seem to remember reading somewhere that they never actually made a power cord for the cradle but that later models of gp2x (i think the mk2's) will power it when plugged in.

myshadow said:
i seem to remember reading somewhere that they never actually made a power cord for the cradle but that later models of gp2x (i think the mk2's) will power it when plugged in.
To a point... I believe it can power certain USB devices such as a joypad, etc, but if you need to do wifi or wired networking, forget it.

Last edited by a moderator:
3MA is a lot, I believe it can get by with 2 or less, it basically only needs as much as you're trying to get it to do, so unless you have a wifidongle or two and a harddrive plugged in you should be fine with less. Though you may want to get someone else's word on it, as I've not actually done it myself.

You really should not exceed the voltage requirements of the cradle. You might fry some of the components.

You can use a power supply rated for higher amps though, because the cradle will only pull as many amps as it needs. If you get a power supply that can not supply enough amps though that can be bad as well. Probably not damaging but you will not be able to power the device or other devices connected to the cradle.

Look online for a power supply. People have them and it should not be too difficult to find.

linoleum13 said:
You really should not exceed the voltage requirements of the cradle. You might fry some of the components.

You can use a power supply rated for higher amps though, because the cradle will only pull as many amps as it needs. If you get a power supply that can not supply enough amps though that can be bad as well. Probably not damaging but you will not be able to power the device or other devices connected to the cradle.

Look online for a power supply. People have them and it should not be too difficult to find.

Guys, thanks for your replies and advice.
I did get a universal plug, and the closest setting to 5v I used was 6v.
There s a 4.5 setting, but I have not tried it yet. Anyway, the 300MA part is correct. The cradle worked well in the TV Out situation. However, the cradle will not power the GP2X F100 or 200 (I have both). I don't think it is meant to. The GP2X has to be plugged in with the separate power supply, sold separately.

My next goal is to load a small 80 GB 2.5" drive and a wireless Madcatz joystick. I just need to format one of my SD cards with emulators that support external joysticks, mice, and keyboards.

Wonderbutt said:
However, the cradle will not power the GP2X F100 or 200 (I have both). I don't think it is meant to. The GP2X has to be plugged in with the separate power supply, sold separately.

My next goal is to load a small 80 GB 2.5" drive and a wireless Madcatz joystick. I just need to format one of my SD cards with emulators that support external joysticks, mice, and keyboards.
You are correct about the first thing. THe cradle will not power a GP2X. It even requires a different power adapter than the GP2X. Not very well planned out on GPH's part.

You are brave using the higher voltage. I hope everything works out with your peripherals.

Wonderbutt said:
Anyway, the 300MA part is correct.
300mA isn't 3A, 3000mA is. If you're only using 300mA then you'll be ok for smaller things, but I don't know if you'll have much luck with harddrives and wireless joysticks.

Of course you could have just missed a 0 out in your post, seeing as you missed all 3 of them out in your first post ;)

Actually, I thought 300MA was 300 million amperes ;)

Capitalisation matters, people :)

mA = Milli-amp
A = Amp
KA = Kilo-amp
MA = Mega-amp
etc...

Back