Cracked Case; Wasn't expecting it so soon.

Ok this is quite anoying, i mean little cracks like i had in my Pandora, no problem, but when you see the Hinge, then there is something completly wrong

I had today to transport a heavy but empty Palette to our Palette Depot, and it was pushing against my Pyra Pocket, but i still dont see any cracks on the Pyra, so maybe i got a lot of luck..

The First Picture with the Pandora Hinge ist from me.
its the golden Pandora which is very good Used.
I glued it with Secondglue and it helped.

Yeah it is not Nice to see the golden Pandora in this used damaged State.

I wanted to change the Case a long Time ago but exist are no other GoldenPandora Cases...thats because i still use this Pandora.

But surprising...she work still like a Charm here

The Damages are Cosmetical on her.
IMG_20210419_152257.jpg
IMG_20210419_152319.jpg

When i look back on the Adventures my Pandora survived in my Pockets, cant say it was that worse,
It got some cracks in the end and a lot of tear, but it was fully funktional until January 2021
the only big thing was the broken shoulderbutton triggercontact, but this was because i wantet to change the Bottom and placed it on a unsave spot on my Desk, , i had it open when i trow the pandora and my Toolset on the floor by incident, ^^
but until then, everything did work perfektly, whit the expection of stuck shoulderbuttons here and there i had to open to replace the Foampad^^..

Reactions: rSl
I'm somewhat worried and disapointed because of this charging, cracking, failing modem and heating problems that are plaguing the Pyra...
So much even that I start to wonder whether it would be stupid of me to spend >750 euro on a device that seems flawed even before it is properly released... Even more than the Pandora ever was... I guess I'm in the next pre-pre order batch so I will have to decide soon but I could really use some reassuring by Ed that the flaws will be fixed...

• Sad
Reactions: rSl
Well, charging, heating etc are Software Issues, which will get improve over time, and are also possible on allready shipped Pyra Units,
The Case Issues are something different, i dont know whyle some Cases break, and some others dont break, maybe its got freece on the Plane whyle shipping? , I dont care much about my Pyra its dont broke yet even if its sits in Pocket which is quite Dangourous for such a Device..

I think i will make a Video about the State of this Pyra where i show how its looks now..

a device that seems flawed even before it is properly released...
Do you say that it is likely to become more flawed with time? That seems strange. Product quality generally improves, as design bugs are ironed out, and QC gets better at catching them.

I would rather have a device which is conceptually-aligned with my values and have to buy a spare case set or hack some hardware config to make it work right, than have a perfectly manufactured product with which you can't do any of that because it's all sealed and locked-down.

I am worried about EvilDragon was lst seen on April 5th 2021 in this Forum.
Maybe he did not read what all happend here.

Hoping he has no Covid or more Bad Things.

Maybe he have to do with fixing Things.

When my Pyra arrive..i will disassemble there and shorten(make thinner) the Plastic on the Hinge with abrasive Paper.

Yes what we read is partly realy Annoying.

Please do not forget that its the "First Batch"
Maybe EvilDragon will do little Patches on the Mainboard to fix the Charging Horror.
In Summer when its warm everywhere..it will be difficult to Charge the Pyra.

I would like to see simply an external Pyra Battery Charger..to charge the Battery external.

But see:
-SDL is nearly fixed and maybe Neon Instructions will be inserted in the Future too
-The more Pyras are out..the more Software and Fixes come.
-i am Shure that the Case Production will be fixed and we can buy newer Cases in the Future where no Cracks happen.

@EvilDragon
We hope for a new NewsPost and we hope you and your "nearest" are healthy.

A Realy good Idea is to build under the Pyra Battery a Wireless Charger and directly connect it to the Battery..
..then you can Charge the Pyra with a standard Wireless Charger and without switch her on :)

oh, i just noticed that the picture from @kuru was from a Pandora, i was worryed that the Pyra gets Cracks on the Hinge,
maybe it would be a good Idea to write this on the Picture, not everyone can tell the Pyra from the Pandora..

So it might be a lot of the negative comments in this thread are because peaple think the Case Issue is more than just a few small cracks..

I'm somewhat worried and disapointed because of this charging, cracking, failing modem and heating problems that are plaguing the Pyra...
So much even that I start to wonder whether it would be stupid of me to spend >750 euro on a device that seems flawed even before it is properly released... Even more than the Pandora ever was... I guess I'm in the next pre-pre order batch so I will have to decide soon but I could really use some reassuring by Ed that the flaws will be fixed...

Every product is flawed before it is properly released.

Background: The company I work for is making something called the Canute 360, for Braille. So I have similar experiences to ED.

In a larger company these exact same issues would still happen at more or less the exact the same stage, with more or less the exact same number of units. Its just that they could afford to produce a couple hundred and not sell them. ED (and for that matter my company) doesn't have the 'correct' level of capital to make hundreds without selling them, so brave customers get them and the problems appear more severe than when you buy Sony. In return those brave customers expect more leeway with returns and frank discussion of issues than you'd get with Sony, which ED does.

You're just seeing what every other product went through behind closed doors. Sometimes greater openness isn't really a choice; it may not even be beneficial, but it is the only option for small players.

I would hold tight and assume that ED has nothing more important to do to protect his business than to fix these issues.

I am worried about EvilDragon was lst seen on April 5th 2021 in this Forum.
Maybe he did not read what all happend here.

Hoping he has no Covid or more Bad Things.

Maybe he have to do with fixing Things.

@EvilDragon
We hope for a new NewsPost and we hope you and your "nearest" are healthy.

I checked in with him on the other day, he's just incredibly busy but alive and doing well.

Haven't seen that thread before, sorry about that. I'll check back with the manufacturer!
That area is always a bit of a problem. It broke on the Nintendo DS, the Pandora, the GPD XD and it's very common on the GPD Win 2.
So let's hope this is something that randomly happened on these units - I haven't seen it before.

But we'll investigate.
Post automatically merged:

Are the Pyra with Cracks Dark Chrome Painted Pyras?
Maybe the Painting is too thick inside this Part and the Display?

There's no paint inside - and the paint is about 0.022mm thick :)

Back