Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Please stay safe, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Futures are up more than 400 points...hmm see today's losses are already turning around. I might even turn a slight profit tomorrow with my additions today

The market is probably over-reacting to Covid, but it also has some structural problems that are bound to blow over sooner or later (that's how the stock market has been working for the last 20 years or so, one bubble after the other). The question is whether the "fake" financial crisis of Covid will trigger the real one.

In any case, I'll keep making money through honest work for a useful cause.

The market is probably over-reacting to Covid, but it also has some structural problems that are bound to blow over sooner or later (that's how the stock market has been working for the last 20 years or so, one bubble after the other). The question is whether the "fake" financial crisis of Covid will trigger the real one.

In any case, I'll keep making money through honest work for a useful cause.

You are implying making money from the market is not honest or useful?

You do realize stocks are how companies generate loans right? Without the stock market there would be no modern society and absolutely people should make money on loans since there is risk involved.

at @work we got divided into 2 teams and we can come to work each other week, on and off, and work from home on that off week. Meetings are only through teleconferencing (which is unable to absorb the new amount of calls; but it never was "good" anyway due to the low amount of bandwidth allocated to it). Cant hop from one building to another (to join different projects), have to choose one building only.
Extra handsanitizers have been installed.

But the coffee replenishing guy is exempted... o_O

all until further notice...

You are implying making money from the market is not honest or useful?
Just watch "Wolf of Wall Street" ;) And no, this movie is sadly no fiction. And yes, there are many people like these from the movie in the real world.
Anyways, gambling is always risky and there are more important things right now than the stock market when it comes to the Corona Virus.

Britain's health minister has now confirmed to be unhealthy with the coronovirus.

And yeah, market movements are in no way as important as our health, but it is an early indicator.

The Swedish government has now upgraded their risk assessment for local transmission; "very high". This is the highest level of risk on a scale from "very low" to "very high". This comes two days after Anders Tegnell, our public health minister, went to Somalia. This decision was made by our current acting public health minister, Anders Wallensten. So far no firm actions have been taken, but the prime minister had been in contact with leaders from other European countries to figure out what needs to be done.

Just in time edit: The public health office has now announced that they want to see restrictions on large gatherings of people. At the moment the discussed limit is 500 people.

The public health office has now announced that they want to see restrictions on large gatherings of people. At the moment the discussed limit is 500 people.
Sounds as if you then have to expect the passing of laws and other actions, that are thought of as less popular.

Just watch "Wolf of Wall Street" ;) And no, this movie is sadly no fiction. And yes, there are many people like these from the movie in the real world.
Anyways, gambling is always risky and there are more important things right now than the stock market when it comes to the Corona Virus.

Yes and no. The market literally will affect everyone and employment.

I have also seen Avengers...Most things in movies aren't real ;)

Some promising news on both market and non market.

China only had 19 new cases, 11 of the 14 emergency hospitals were shut down and Xi visited Wuhan.

Last edited:
Without the stock market there would be no modern society
The market literally will affect everyone and employment.
So you're saying, it'd be an underdeveloped society that wouldn't put everyone and employment at the mercy of boneheaded, frightened gamblers?

Enlightenment and scientific and technological advances make a modern society, not aristocracy 2.0.

So you're saying, it'd be an underdeveloped society that wouldn't put everyone and employment at the mercy of boneheaded, frightened gamblers?

Enlightenment and scientific and technological advances make a modern society, not aristocracy 2.0.

Lol ok buddy. Guess you don't like your phone, medicine, car, etc.

Scientific and technological advances require funding....drumroll...which comes from the market.

Lol ok buddy. Guess you don't like your phone, medicine, car, etc.
Nah, I just don't like capitalism or gambling with other's money - especialy when existences are affected
Scientific and technological advances require funding....drumroll...which comes from the market.
Oh, I should tell a friend of mine, who cofounded a company to develop, manufactur and sell marine tech, that he needs to give back all the funding they received, since there was no stock market involved.
Also, where can I get DARPA or NASA stocks?

All one knows, often is not all there could be (or is).

Small firms often turn to venture capitalists or other types of lenders to kickstart their business, when they're not developed enough to float on the stock market. But once they get to a certain size they often decide to do something called an initial public offering or IPO where they split the ownership of the company into a number of shares and sell those on the market. The money they get back can be used to pay back the initial investors, to to generally improve the company further, although there are risks in doing this. Otherwise you can just make money by doing business and slowly pay back your investors, but if any of that money came from venture capitalists, they part own the company and will pretty much demand you IPO.

they part own the company and will pretty much demand you IPO.
If you're young and need the money and the only solution at the ready 'd be IPO, that may indeed pressure you into it. But company decisions are made only by a subset of owners, that together hold the majority of ownage. (In Germany in some statute of the company (or whatever it's called) you do also define what kind of majortiy you need for certain kinds of decision. I guess that's the same in other countries?)
Post automatically merged:

Over 1000 Covid-19 cases confirmed now in the U-S-of-A :(
10^3 is an arbitrary threshold. For beings with eleven fingers 11^3 might rather be that "special". ;)

Nah, I just don't like capitalism or gambling with other's money - especialy when existences are affected

Oh, I should tell a friend of mine, who cofounded a company to develop, manufactur and sell marine tech, that he needs to give back all the funding they received, since there was no stock market involved.
Also, where can I get DARPA or NASA stocks?

All one knows, often is not all there could be (or is).

1. I am and have always been using my own money, for my own trades.....
2. Options are gambling. I don't get involved in options. Me investing is literally buying a piece of a company. Please explain how that is a gamble if you do do diligence? I buy shares in companies who's visions I believe in, and who has good financials. I also hold long.
3. I never said companies HAD to fund through stocks, but please name a world wide company that isn't publicly traded, you know the guys you significantly benefit from. I will wait. Hint: Your buddy shipping out of his garage isnt. All those funds drive advancements. But hey what do I know with my Masters in Economics.

4. Really, DARPA and NASA..... Hmm lets see they are funded by the US taxpayer. I am sure if all companies had that ability to get basically free money they would take advantage of it... But see DARPA and NASA don't need to turn a profit to continue operating. Nor do they need loans.

FYI I bought into Qualcomm about 4 months ago in a big way. You know the guys that make the chips for all major smartphones (cause mediatek and the others aren't even in the same ballpark) and hold patents and tech for 5G...Things you will benefit from and require funding to develop.

Last edited:
No whe ditnt closes our Borders yet, , why should whe ?? Lets say there is a French Guy whit Corrona on the other Side of the French/German "Border" and on the other Side is a German Guy, so even if the Borders are closed, the Virus will find its way over the Border..

Corona is not fun, but as long you arend that old, or got some issues bevor, it should be not that dangorous as a Flu, but whe have to save the Old or Sick Peaple from Corona..

Ditnt got any issues yet, and i work lots whit peaple, but maybe its have to come..

Watching The Walking Death Currently, and i think these peaple would be happy whit just corona.. ^^

Options are gambling. I don't get involved in options. Me investing is literally buying a piece of a company. Please explain how that is a gamble if you do do diligence? I buy shares in companies who's visions I believe in, and who has good financials. I also hold long.
That the ok variant. But that calm and mindful way has long been overgrown by automated high frequency trading, hasn't it.
4. Really, DARPA and NASA..... Hmm lets see they are funded by the US taxpayer. I am sure if all companies had that ability to get basically free money they would take advantage of it... But see DARPA and NASA don't need to turn a profit to continue operating. Nor do they need loans.

FYI I bought into Qualcomm about 4 months ago in a big way. You know the guys that make the chips for all major smartphones (cause mediatek and the others aren't even in the same ballpark) and hold patents and tech for 5G...Things you will benefit from and require funding to develop.
That was my counterexample to the point you're still trying to make. To spell it out: private/corporate funding is not the only funding that can drive R&D.

When you think about it, all the biggest technical success we've had in the last 70 years are stuff that came from public subsidies: the Internet, electronics improvements that led to mobile devices, environmentally-friendly (or at least less aggressive) technologies...

Meanwhile, private funding funded Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, Google... And a thousand food-delivery startups.

I agree that concentrating capital is useful to achieve great things, but the way it's currently done (rich people decide what is worthy of funding) is not necessarily the best to begin with and has gone completely off-rails (rich people do automated high-frequency trading that has nothing to do with investing and when they do invest they willingly create bubbles that kill poor people when they blow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back