Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Please stay safe, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
tenor.gif

What does it say? I'm sorry, but I can't read written Chinese.
Copy the link of the image, then go to tineye.com (or any image search site) and paste the url. Then, select one from the resulting list, a website that has that image; there, if not in english, bring up a text translation website and paste part of the text to get English (or lojban, or any other language you understand).

Can I has the Christmas tree one?
Here is information to synthesize your own. <--- important news from people studying this new strain, such as:

• Seafood market not the source.
  • This RNA #coronavirus mutates really fast.
  • RO Replication rate of 4.1 (according to 1 paper; according to another it's nCoV is between 2.5 -3.5) - that number is high compared to Flu which has 1.3
  • Has unusual middle segment never seen before in any coronavirus.
  • Not from recent mixing.
  • That mystery middle segment encodes protein responsible for entry into host cells.

Our study rejects the hypothesis of emergence as a result of a recent recombination event.” —> I.e. the authors also conclude that the new #coronavirus did not originate from random recent admixture between different coronaviruses.

Unrelated: While reading, I came across a story about MERS, where Saudies send the virus to a Dutch lab for parallel analisys. First thing that lab does? Patent the MERS strain! (a Duch would sell your grandmother if that was legal... wait, it is now...)

edit:

Flanked by an outbreak of Chicken flu in Hunan:

edit: Added more details for @levi about the nCoV.

Last edited:
Copy the link of the image, then go to tineye.com (or any image search site) and paste the url. Then, select one from the resulting list, a website that has that image; there, if not in english, bring up a text translation website and paste part of the text to get English (or lojban, or any other language you understand).
Or I could post the question and get an answer within half an hour in the middle of the night.

Seafood market not the source.
Yes, on a BBC radio show recently they were saying that they'd taken about 35 tests from the market, and found the virus on something like 30 of the spots, meaning it was circulating pretty freely there already. Which makes you think it was already freely circulating by the time it got there, probably in one of a few human sources.
RO Replication rate of 4.1 (according to 1 paper) - that number is high
I think there was a bit in a recent More or Less podcast (a different BBC radio show) that the tweet that came from has since been deleted, and anyway 4.1 is nothing compared to measles which I recall as being something more like 15.

Oh man, after the US maintaining that China has been refusing US help with the coronavirus outbreak, China's now saying that the US hasn't been offering any.

Pretty sure this means the fight against spreading has been lost, and now everyone's just looking to shift the eventual blame. And since Trump has zero credibility, the US will probably be eating this one.

@levi Teach a man how to fish...

wash hands with Mountain Dew to kill Rhino-virus type:
Post automatically merged:

Oh man, after the US maintaining that China has been refusing US help with the coronavirus outbreak, China's now saying that the US hasn't been offering any.
Pretty sure it was never direct help, but through UN or Red Cross.
Also: That help is never free.

I'm not sure what exact help China is expecting or needs from the US? China is an economic powerhouse, they have plenty of scientists, research, and the economic might to produce whatever they need. They also have far more visibility on the actual issues since they don't disclose to the world and other countries exactly what is going on.

For instance China built a hospital in 10 days. 10 days specifically for the coronavirus. No hospital in the US has ever been built in 10 days....

Last edited:
I'm not sure what exact help China is expecting or needs from the US? China is an economic powerhouse, they have plenty of scientists, research, and the economic might to produce whatever they need. They also have far more visibility on the actual issues since they don't disclose to the world and other countries exactly what is going on.

For instance China built a hospital in 10 days. 10 days specifically for the coronavirus. No hospital in the US has ever been built in 10 days....
I think they might expect help since they always got it, but Donny boy is an idiot and only sees what he can directly get from a situation.

Yes, mainly because it's much less lethal than Sars. Sars was a dumb virus; it's so successful that it kills the village or the community group but then goes kaput without new victims because everyone else thinks the village is cursed.

For instance China built a hospital in 10 days. 10 days specifically for the coronavirus.
Meanwhile Italy isolated and sequenced it (with a shoestring budget) and India did the analysis. A team of Archivists is giving public access to all the available papers, at risk of infringement. They do not scream into the media, they just do it (tm).

Not yet in Madagascar, but close, oh so close now:
If this was a zombie virus... we would not stand a chance... but it's NOT a zombie virus, I forgot the asian country that send an official message about it.

without any doubt
not sure if kidding or serious...

Last edited:
why would the US send money?
It comes with a fee, we loan you 100, you give 120 back. If not, it is a good bargaining chip when talking about discounts and favorable trade agreements.
However, there is always the IMF... so.. yeah.

Like the drugsdealer on the corner. First hit is always free.

It comes with a fee, we loan you 100, you give 120 back. If not, it is a good bargaining chip when talking about discounts and favorable trade agreements.
However, there is always the IMF... so.. yeah.

Like the drugsdealer on the corner. First hit is always free.

On that basis, sure. I was thinking (and scoffing) at no strings attached money gifts to China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back