Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Please stay safe, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's called...6 months late, but better late, than never :(
We don't know how long this thing will be here, so 6 months might be 'meh'-time in few years.
They'll state it was mandatory from the first year :-# .

----
From new face-mask regulation in Oregon (US).
It's sad that some people appear to not be able to protect themselves while they are more probably likely to get sick.
face_covering.png

Last edited:
However long this lasts, it's not a matter of the perception of the time elapsed before we did something. That timing should be defined by the behaviour of the virus, regardless of the future.

It is racist to make exceptions based on race. I guess racism will never disappear.

BTW I find it weird that there is a term to mean "all races but Caucasians". Why are Caucasians so special?

BTW I find it weird that there is a term to mean "all races but Caucasians". Why are Caucasians so special?
It does remind me of a story I heard a long time ago. It went something like this:
"When you stay in the sun to long your skin turns red then brown, and when you fall your skin becomes blue. Yet you call us people of color?"
Other possible related notes about the term:
According to Adobe Black is a shade, not a color: https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/design/discover/is-black-a-color.html
And one informative segment on the color brown (can't I just post a link? no need to embed the video):

According to CDC: "non-Hispanic black persons have a rate approximately 5 times that of non-Hispanic white persons"

It is racist to make exceptions based on race. I guess racism will never disappear.
That's probably true, for people in power at least. If we want to undo some of the historic harm that has happened, they'll need to be able to promote based on race. But for the rest of us who are merely workers or the like, being colourblind is about the best you can do.
They're in the majority in western europe and north america and probably in russia as well. One of the descriptions of those other than white in this country is 'minority ethnic' which describes this, but can feel a little like 'the others' to those it's describing. It's an incredibly fraught issue, because if you decide to try to mention all of the people that it contains, you'll almost inevitably miss people off, and if you were to succeed it would be a too complicated statement to actually use.

@levi, not only that, we have also an oil crisis (disregard the clickbait title, the content is pretty good):

Pension crash
Hyper-inflation, then a new coin.

Last edited:
Yes, the oil price went negative in the past couple of months; they'd actually pay you to burn it (if you were big enough to have that kind of account with your supplier). But that's not all that surprising; even before this coronavirus epidemic, we'd spent so long improving solar panels and wind turbines as well as batteries to store that energy, that it's been cheaper to generate electricity using renewables than using fossil fuels. Your base electricity price anywhere that has noticeable installations of wind turbines or state solar panels will be going negative far more often than the oil price does (mainly at night when the wind still blows). Your next car will probably run on electricity. We'll still need oil for occasions when renewables don't provide enough to meet the demand both from renewables and connected batteries, but the oil power stations could end up being run down for months at a span, and mainly be run up to keep the gears lubricated I reckon. And we'll still need oil derivatives for airplanes, because they're still the lightest way to deliver megawatts of energy in an instant, the sort of thing you need especially as you're trying to take off in a big plane.

If your job is in the oil business right now, I'd suggest you should have been looking to retrain for a few years now.

Yes, the oil price went negative in the past couple of months; they'd actually pay you to burn it (if you were big enough to have that kind of account with your supplier). But that's not all that surprising; even before this coronavirus epidemic, we'd spent so long improving solar panels and wind turbines as well as batteries to store that energy, that it's been cheaper to generate electricity using renewables than using fossil fuels. Your base electricity price anywhere that has noticeable installations of wind turbines or state solar panels will be going negative far more often than the oil price does (mainly at night when the wind still blows). Your next car will probably run on electricity. We'll still need oil for occasions when renewables don't provide enough to meet the demand both from renewables and connected batteries, but the oil power stations could end up being run down for months at a span, and mainly be run up to keep the gears lubricated I reckon. And we'll still need oil derivatives for airplanes, because they're still the lightest way to deliver megawatts of energy in an instant, the sort of thing you need especially as you're trying to take off in a big plane.

If your job is in the oil business right now, I'd suggest you should have been looking to retrain for a few years now.
I assume all jobs that couldn't be done during the pandemic might be replaced by others.

Some companies found out they can work remotely without a lot of problems and they probably continue doing this as it's much cheaper then renting an office.
This would also mean those people work at home and don't need to travel that much, not using their car as much.
So if you work involves other peoples cars you might lose some customers on top of direct effects of the pandemic, possibly causing that business to fail.
This could trigger a chain of failing businesses, as the neighboring shop might had lot of customers due to that petrol-station/garage/dealer and if that fails possibly local suppliers see their sales plummet, causing a tax revenue drop, causing price increase, etc.

I think the bar to get an average job just got raised which is bad news for a lot of people. As this pandemic removed the need for a lot of more-accessible jobs.
If a delivery-driver loses his job and can't find a job in his field he can't just switch to retail or the restaurant-business, a lot of those people lost their jobs to.
Most people can't just switch to a job that requires a specific skill set, they would need to do additional training or education, and not everyone is suitable or eligible to do this.
Just imagine what percentage of people don't know yet how to operate a smartphone or a computer, those are usually required skills already needed to find a job in the first place.

Just imagine what percentage of people don't know yet how to operate a smartphone or a computer, those are usually required skills already needed to find a job in the first place.
Well at least that's improved during the pandemic, since that's currently the only way apart from the house phone that you can keep in contact with family and friends. Lots of older people have learnt computer so they can skype or zoom or what have you.

Something pretty horrible I noticed today, and didn't realise was a thing until I searched for it, but I had noticed a few dead pigeons recently. Saw today one was being attacked by a couple of gulls.

Our cultural habits of throwing food and rubbish everywhere brought the gulls here to begin with, and with fast and convenience food being in limited supply, the gulls are turning elsewhere.

Could it be that the Pigeon was shoked (from shoking hazzard), by the band of a Corona Mask everyone just trows away ??
Im using a BUFF because its a lot more usefull, even after the Corona Apocalypse,

Im using a BUFF

I had to look up that too, even though I've apparently already got one! They are indeed very useful, although a little hot to use in the summer.

I also have a problem with my glasses steaming up while wearing a mask. Not exactly an earth-shattering problem, I admit, but it is somewhat irksome.

Something pretty horrible I noticed today, and didn't realise was a thing until I searched for it, but I had noticed a few dead pigeons recently. Saw today one was being attacked by a couple of gulls.

Our cultural habits of throwing food and rubbish everywhere brought the gulls here to begin with, and with fast and convenience food being in limited supply, the gulls are turning elsewhere.

At least those pigeons were better off than the chickens whose meat and eggs are available at many stores. They were also better off than the male chicks that are thrown in the meat grinder for the egg industry. But I agree that it's still really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back