Converting Music

Website
Visit site
In order to save room on my memory I would like to convert my MP3s to a lower bitrate. Unfortunatly, I've gotten used to Windows Media Player 11 being able to convert them for me, but WMP wants to sync to my SD card with WMA files instead of MP3. Appearently, the SD card reader reports to WMP that the SD card is a WMA compaitble MP3 player and it won't convert to anything but WMA.

Can anyone suggest a good (preferably open-source or free) MP3 converter that will allow me to make copies of my music at lower bit-rates?

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is better on the GP2X, OGG or MP3?

I personally use OGG. My music collection was 70GB of MP3 files previously. Some were encoded at quite high bitrates, thus the files were huge. I ran a convert on them all with EZ-CDDA Extractor to Ogg Vorbis Q4, and the entire size shrunk down to 45GB. Everything sounds perfect as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Especially if you convert fresh .WAV music, ogg offers a huge advantage over MP3. You can also convert MP3 to ogg of course, but you should set a lower bitrate than the original one of course :) . I think you get about 25% speed or quality improvement compared to mp3. I got no idea what program to use on windows, but on linux I use Sound Converter (dunno if that's the original name though xD) .

Back