Converting A Fat32 Partition On The Sd Card

slygamer

Website
Visit site
The Firmware Upgrade page on the GP2X wiki states that using cfdisk (a Linux utility) to create a FAT32 partition of type 0xB works.

The FAT32 Resource Page details that there are two different partition types for FAT32. Type 0xB is a standard FAT32 partition. Type 0xC is a FAT32 partition that requires extnded INT13 support (LBA).

I'm assuming that Windows XP formats using the 0xC type.

From this information, I can surmise that UBoot only supports partition type 0xB and not 0xC.

So, being a Windows user myself, does anyone know of any utilities like cfdisk or fdisk for Win32 that I could use to change the partition type on my SD card?

slygamer posted on Dec 1 2005 at 01:38 PM said:
The Firmware Upgrade page on the GP2X wiki states that using cfdisk (a Linux utility) to create a FAT32 partition of type 0xB works.

The FAT32 Resource Page details that there are two different partition types for FAT32. Type 0xB is a standard FAT32 partition. Type 0xC is a FAT32 partition that requires extnded INT13 support (LBA).

I'm assuming that Windows XP formats using the 0xC type.

From this information, I can surmise that UBoot only supports partition type 0xB and not 0xC.

So, being a Windows user myself, does anyone know of any utilities like cfdisk or fdisk for Win32 that I could use to change the partition type on my SD card?

Actually, I know my SD had a 0x0B partition type, but it didn't work at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Using cfdisk on my SD card rendered it unreadable: The Gp2x doesn't like partions.

I had to wipe out the partition & then just use mkdosfs to turn the whole device into a FAT filesystem.

Bizzare, but that's what works. . .

It's a bit offtopic, but I've heard that MMC cards used on nokia's symbian mobile phones are recognised

I will try it tomorrow, as I have two of these MMCs

Back