Console Mame

too risky IMO, especially for someone who hasn't already fiddled around with Xbox modding.

Softmodding with an exploitable game is still the cheapest and easiest way to go. Though chips have gotten cheap as well, but still, a chip is going to cost extra in the time-used department.

shouldn't be hard at all to find one of the exploitable games since they are all old and you have three to choose from.

Hopefully the Xbox 360 will be cracked. Since its backward compatibility is actually an xbox emu, the 360 could likely emulate a GameCube, PS2 and everything below.

DaveC posted on Aug 9 2005 at 04:13 AM said:
Hopefully the Xbox 360 will be cracked. Since its backward compatibility is actually an xbox emu, the 360 could likely emulate a GameCube, PS2 and everything below.

*sigh* internet rumors

it's not an xbox emulator

and no, you will not see GC or PS2 emulation on the 360, not near powerful enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, the 360 is definitely not powerful enough to emulate the ps2 or gc. you couldn't simply port a pc emulator and have it running without major tweaking in the case of the original xbox, since the 360 has a more exotic cpu. and according to hardware news sites, the 360's cpu isn't as powerful as it's hyped to be.

anyway man, you definitely need to get an xbox and softmod it! hotswapping isn't so rough, and there are other things like tsop flashing :D
but the best and easiest for you would be a softmod via game exploit. forums.xbox-scene. is a massive modding resource.

i want to build or convert something like a capcom cab someday, but i have no room for it now :(

bast525 posted on Aug 9 2005 at 05:28 AM said:
DaveC posted on Aug 9 2005 at 04:13 AM said:
Hopefully the Xbox 360 will be cracked.  Since its backward compatibility is actually an xbox emu, the 360 could likely emulate a GameCube, PS2 and everything below.

*sigh* internet rumors

it's not an xbox emulator

Every site and MS themselves says that BC is done through emulation. There is no Pentium or Nvidea chip in the 360 so it must be done through emulation.

And GC emulation doesn't seem that impossible for the 360. The GC has a much slower Power PC CPU and ATI GPU. The 360 has a much faster PowerPC and much more powerful ATI GPU. The CPUs are the same family and have many of the same instructions so it may be possible.

Mark posted on Aug 10 2005 at 05:57 PM said:
finty posted on Aug 10 2005 at 05:47 PM said:
I leave for two weeks and gamepark splits in two and announces two new consoles. Damn.

I won't have an internet connection (or a computer) for quite a while, so I guess I'll see you guys around.

Toodles.

Failed my driving test for the 5th (that's right) time today. B) I messed up on a roundabout, pulled out incorrectly and killed a pensioner.
Softmodding isnt risky, really. I mean I fucked up my dash but booting up the game (you dont need the dash) exploiting it and using the app you exploit it with you can just ftp over the files, simple as fuck!

Also if you dont back up all the files are available on the slayers xbox disk.

The hardest bit was modding a usb cable to an xbox pad to get the files on but thats cause im shit at cabling!

Believe what you like Dave. You are taking what they are saying a little TOO literally.

You would need MASSIVE power to truly 'emulate' the Xbox. A lot more than the 360 or even probably the PS 3 will have. A high end PC can barely even run Dreamcast at an acceptible rate.

There might be trickery involved with getting the Xbox games running on the 360, but it's not emulation the way you're thinking.

Remember this much, the Xbox has a lot in common with a PC. And like PC's, with Xbox it probably doesn't matter what BRAND of hardware is under the hood. A high end PC can run old PC games. Does that mean it 'emulates' older PC's? Hardly. I dont know a better way to put this in words, but I think you need to research your information about this whole thing of the 360 'emulating' the Xbox a little more, because it's not what you think it is.

And I can guarantee, you will NEVER seen PS2 or GC emulation on the 360, unless it's done just for the heck of it, a la PSX emulation on the GP32 :p running at like 1fps. But if you're happy fooling yourself, go right ahead.

I use my Xbox for 2D mame, and it's great.

@Bast525

No, it doesnt mean it emulates it, but in that cas, you're talking about a totally seprate type of processor. The Xbox360 will be PPC (IBM) based, whereas the current Xbox is X86 based. So, in that case, it WILL emulate. It'd be like a (current) Mac emulating a PC basically.

I was really having trouble finding the words to explain it properly, I think your Mac-running-PC software example is a good one.

I still say it compares very similiarly to different PC setups... I mean, for instance, the new AMD 64, is quite a different beast from say, a Pentium II, and if you pair the AMD with say, the latest Radeon video card, and the Pentium II with like an old Voodoo 2... well those are drastically different hardware setups.

yet, your AMD 64 setup should have no problem running MOST of the games that were available/playable for the Pentium II setup. If you're playing those old games on the AMD, it's not technically 'emulation', not anything at all like when you're playing SNES or MAME on your PC/Xbox.

This is how I understand the Xbox 360 will work with it's backwards compatibility. That's how it sounded when I read it, anyways. And I still say, playable PS2/GC on Xbox 360 is a dream.

Back