Connect a Pyra to the Pyra?

I'm pretty sure that's been brought up before somewhere.

Perhaps it doesn't matter because mice aren't computing devices?

/me isn't sure really

Yup, here's the application.

Whether that entails a conflict is something I don't know. Probably not, they are obviously different devices with different (overlapping in only one aspect) purposes, but ED should probably get his lawyer to look into it.

If the Pyra turns out to be as sexy looking as the Pyra, then perhaps ED could officially endorse the Pyra as an accessory for the Pyra on his site!  ^_^

Could be Interesting.

Both Pyra are gaming hardware. Is that going to cause an issue?
Supermassive_black_hole_1024x768.jpg

It already IS DragonBox. The DragonBox Pyra.
I would think that alone (the full name) is enough of a distinguishing feature to worry about trademark infringement.
Mmmm.... no.

DragonBox and Roccat are the company names.

They are both small German electronic gaming device companies.

Pyra and Pyra are the device names.

One is a Linux compatible gaming handheld computer.

One is a Linux compatible gaming handheld mouse.

I suspect that this is going to need review by ED's lawyer to know how it works in Germany & the EU.

I had just gotten used to calling it the Pyra. At this point I'd just as soon have the project keep the name, but it's easier to switch a name now than to have the project crushed by a lawsuit.

I ended up buying the Roccat Kova[+] mouse instead of the Roccat Pyra. Needed the left hand/ambidextrous capability.

^ To *not* worry about trademark infringement?
Yeah that.

Mmmm.... no.

DragonBox and Roccat are the company names.

They are both small German electronic gaming device companies.

Pyra and Pyra are the device names.

I suspect that this is going to need review by ED's lawyer to know how it works in Germany & the EU.

I had just gotten used to calling it the Pyra. At this point I'd just as soon have the project keep the name, but it's easier to switch a name now than to have the project crushed by a lawsuit.

I ended up buying the Roccat Kova[+] mouse instead of the Roccat Pyra. Needed the left hand/ambidextrous capability.
DragonBox Pyra is the name of the device. That's what people voted on, or did you really think they were voting on what ED should rename his already incorporated company?

Last edited by a moderator:

According to their website, the mouse isn't even Mac compatible ;)

But yeah, I don't buy that one is the Roccat Pyra and the other the Dragonbox Pyra is enough to avoid confusion in the eyes of the law. You're not allowed to have two cars by different manufacturers produced at the same time using the same name. I suspect the fact that one is a handheld computer and the other is a computer peripheral is different enough that people are unlikely to be confused between the two, but IANAL etc. etc.

DragonBox Pyra is the name of the device. That's what people voted on, or did you really think they were voting on what ED should rename his already incorporated company?
I was under the impression that ED didn't want to call it the DragonBox DragonBox so voting was re-initialized with that option removed. Do you really intend to reference the device as the, "DragonBox DragonBox Pyra"? Or maybe "DragonBox Pyra by DragonBox"?

According to their website, the mouse isn't even Mac compatible ;)
Linux is acknowledged on their website - if difficult to find.http://www.roccat.org/Support/Gaming-Mice/ROCCAT-Pyra-Wired/#crb_2

For better information on what works:

http://roccat.sourceforge.net/general.html#id352056

But yeah, I don't buy that one is the Roccat Pyra and the other the Dragonbox Pyra is enough to avoid confusion in the eyes of the law. You're not allowed to have two cars by different manufacturers produced at the same time using the same name. I suspect the fact that one is a handheld computer and the other is a computer peripheral is different enough that people are unlikely to be confused between the two, but IANAL etc. etc.
The part that shocked me - they're both small German niche gaming device manufacturers. I would never have heard of the Roccat Pyra if I hadn't been researching Linux compatible gaming mice and stumbled on this article: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODY1Mw

Then I did a double take when I read this line: "he plans to have a driver ready for the Roccat Pyra mouse"

Google search the term combination, "Linux Pyra".

If this is or is not an issue is for ED and his lawyer to decide.

Yup, here's the application.

Whether that entails a conflict is something I don't know. Probably not, they are obviously different devices with different (overlapping in only one aspect) purposes, but ED should probably get his lawyer to look into it.
Uh-oh: <google translated, emphasis mine>

Class (es ) Nice 09:Apparatus for recording, transmission or reproduction of sound or images , speakers, loudspeakers , headphones, microphones , data processing equipment and computers including laptops and PDAs ( organizer and handheld computers); accessories for computers, televisions, electronic devices, including multi-media equipment and computer games (where included in class 9 ), namely, joysticks, gamepads , game consoles , input and output devices , control mice and mouse pads , computer mice , graphics tablets , keyboards , keypads , electronic touch and stylus pens , operating cushion and workstations with keyboard, hand-operated control and operating stations; gas - and brake pedals and steering wheels and steering columns for electronic games and the operation of electronic devices , screens guns for games; amusement apparatus adapted for use with television receivers only; video games adapted for use with television receivers only; programmable workstations and terminals; Lupe facilities and holder for holding and operation of electronic devices with displays , display lighting devices and holder for connection to electronic devices, especially for illuminating displays electronic games; interfaces for small computer and memory interface adapter modules , cards, memory , readers for memory cards , memory cards, modules , mounting and slots for card modules , table drives , remote controls, control units and terminal units ; headphones , microphones, microphone headset , communication and control devices for Internet access, Internet phones , powered speakers , wiring, connection and adapter cables , modems, batteries, accumulators , power supply units , power supplies , chargers, AC / DC adapter, electrical adapter switches , decoders, electronic adjustment devices for displaying screen content; construction bonded connection and mounting parts for the aforesaid goods (included in class 9); goods of leather and plastics (semi-finished ), namely, protective, carrying and belt bags , carrying cases and cassettes , all for custom reception and accommodation of media , personal computers, electronic devices , electronic organizers , small databases , electronic games and multimedia devices ; holders , especially belts and Trayhalterungen for electronic devices , particularly electronic games ; surge protection boxes and holders for custom reception and accommodation of electronic equipment , especially electronic games ; archiving and storage containers for customized recording of electronic equipment, electronic data carriers and save electronic devices and equipment modules and disks ; housing for electronic storage and memory cards with and without electronic display devices

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, just because there's a conflict doesn't mean it's a dead stop. They can work out an agreement. Maybe Roccat will sign a no-sue-you contract in exchange for ED doing some bundled advertising or something.

Anywho, at this point there's nothing to do but let the lawyers do their thing, I think.

I was under the impression that ED didn't want to call it the DragonBox DragonBox so voting was re-initialized with that option removed. Do you really intend to reference the device as the, "DragonBox DragonBox Pyra"? Or maybe "DragonBox Pyra by DragonBox"?
DragonBox is part of the device name. The company is still called "OpenPandora GmbH". Go check here: https://www.dragonbox.de/ bottom right.

Back