Computer Part Price Drop

Steve-O

Anyone know when the next big sort of computer part price drop will be??? If Its comming up soon then I will just wait as I have done this before, Bought a graphics card then a week later the price dropped by £50 odd

Prices on various computer hardware are always dropping :)

Eg. The NVidia 7900 series card will cost around the same as the 7800 GTX 512 costs now and the 7800 will be discontinued soon. So prices could go down on the 7800, but then again you might find it difficult to find one, as you can guarantee shops are no longer replenishing stocks of it.

NVidia are also discontinuing there NF4 motherboard chipset, and bringing out NF5, so motherboards based on the soon to be obsolete chipset may go down in price.

AMD are working on new technology too, as are Intel, and many other companies, so expect price drops from those too :)

I personally am waiting until Vista comes out later this year before buying making a new computer. When Vista is released later this year it will be using DirectX 10, which no hardware currently supports. DirectX 10 is only capable of running DirectX 9 applications through software rendering, which will require a significant increase in processing power required. By the time this all happens we will probably be on Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ and Dual Core 4800+'s will probably be a lot cheaper.

Javacat posted on Mar 9 2006 at 04:46 AM said:
I personally am waiting until Vista comes out later this year before buying making a new computer. When Vista is released later this year it will be using DirectX 10, which no hardware currently supports. DirectX 10 is only capable of running DirectX 9 applications through software rendering, which will require a significant increase in processing power required. By the time this all happens we will probably be on Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ and Dual Core 4800+'s will probably be a lot cheaper.

... And this is how Gates keeps Windows users on Windows....

And if you look to your left you will see the Linux...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm currently using an AMD X2 5000 now, so the 6000 probably isn't that far off ;)

(Ok, it's actually a AMD X2 @ 2.6Ghz, which is probably the equivalent of a 5000 - it's certainly faster than a 4800, and more than twice as fast as a P4 3.8Ghz)

Javacat posted on Mar 9 2006 at 10:46 AM said:
That is a bit of an exaggeration.

ok, will wait a month or 2 as the parts I was going to buy were 7800GT and a MSI Nforce4 Motherboard and a AMD 3200+ 64Bit ;)

Your better off buying a X1900 than than a 7800GT, specially since the 7800GT is going to be discontinued soon.

Squidge posted on Mar 9 2006 at 09:01 PM said:
Your better off buying a X1900 than than a 7800GT, specially since the 7800GT is going to be discontinued soon.

for some reason I like Nvidia better... and after seeing the price of the X1900 compaired to the 7800GT, think I will stick with going for a 7800GT... Can get a 7800GT now for £200, X1900 is around £380

Steve-O posted on Mar 9 2006 at 09:34 PM said:

for some reason I like Nvidia better... and after seeing the price of the X1900 compaired to the 7800GT, think I will stick with going for a 7800GT... Can get a 7800GT now for £200, X1900 is around £380
I feel the same. Ati chips have always performed worse and been less stable, in my experience.

Hoot. posted on Mar 9 2006 at 05:07 PM said:
Steve-O posted on Mar 9 2006 at 09:34 PM said:

I feel the same. Ati chips have always performed worse and been less stable, in my experience.
Well, in my experience, ive seen many nvidia cards fail, and my 2 computers with ati x700's on them are going strong.

My last video card was Radeon 9800 Pro, and I never had any problems with it. I had a NVidia card before that and never had any problems with that either. My current one is a 7800GT, but that's simply because it seemed to be the best value for money card when I bought it.

Must say though, I love the fact that the GPU clock speed and fan speed is controlled via the drivers nicely now. It used to be that the GPU and fan ran at one speed; Now, when your in 2D, the card is clocked at 200Mhz - which is still plenty enough for 2D mode, and means that they can also spin the fan down to an speed which is inaudible as very little heat is created at this speed.

As soon as you load an application which wants 3D mode, it clocks the card to full speed and turns the fan up slightly. The fan still doesn't go full speed, so I'm assuming it's dependant on temperature as well.

Using NVidia's own overclocking tool, I change the core clock from 400Mhz to 483Mhz and increased the memory to 1.22Ghz. Gives me a nice 4558 in 3DMark06.

as long as I can play HL2, Battle Field 2 etc at high / full detail I dont mind :)

Back