Compressing Movies/video

Paradox

oh em gee
Website
Visit site
I know the gp2x can resize movies so they can fit its screen, but what if i wanted to re-encode my movie to be the resolution 320 * 240 to decrease the file size?

Anyone know how i would go about doing this?

Also, anyone have any info on how the Koreans are doing with gp2x development? it would be interesting to know what they are up to.

there's a video encoding guide for windows computers i've made in the video and music forum you might want to take a look at...

LINK

it still has some mess ups that i need to fix, but all the info's there.

edit: including how to resize videos, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also use PocketDivx. Works great and very fast at reencoding. I did star wars ep 3 and it took like 15 minutes. TV shows will even encode faster.

Pixman posted on Dec 7 2005 at 10:43 AM said:
Anyone knows a good software / script for linux?

Yeah, I personally like the bash software. But /etc/init.d/apache2 is a really good script too.

:rolleyes:

Pixman posted on Dec 7 2005 at 10:43 AM said:
Anyone knows a good software / script for linux?

yeah, here's mine, it works very well:

Code:
[ging:~/Desktop] j% cat ~/bin/gp2xmov 
#!/bin/sh
mencoder -oac mp3lame  -ovc lavc -srate 22050 -lameopts cbr:br=64  -ffourcc DIVX -lavcopts \
        vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=350::v4mv:mbd=2:trell:cmp=3:subcmp=3:mbcmp=3 -vf scale=320:-3 \
        $1 -o $2

pocketdivx is really good :)

although when i tried simply changing the size of a movie it for some reason stripped the sound.

and my anime which is in japanese with subtitles, the subtitles are very hard to read being so small!

Paradox posted on Dec 7 2005 at 07:18 AM said:
pocketdivx is really good :)

although when i tried simply changing the size of a movie it for some reason stripped the sound.

and my anime which is in japanese with subtitles, the subtitles are very hard to read being so small!

I recomend you use VirtualDub. It's a bit more complicated than pocketdivx, but there are MANY more options. You will wind up with better quality encodes after you learn to use those options.

To get bigger subs, you need to get source AVIs with soft subs (either internal or external)and demux them (if they're internal). Convert them to .ssa with Sub Station Alpha and use whatever size settings work best for you (you'll need to experiment). Then resize the video and hard-encode the subs at the same time with virtualdubmod. The instructions on adding the subs and a link for the required plugin is here: http://www.videohelp.com/subsvirtual.htm

The rest can all be found with a little searching.

Windows users have more options, but I'll still recommend avidemuxer.

Also, I've not had any problems with hard subs... I believe they're hard, in any case, and - outside OP/ED bits - are perfectly legible. Depends on the sub, but I think most shouldn't give you any trouble.

Back