Compositing

RekTide

Still Fresh
I'm interested in compositing window managers for X.

Afaik, OpenGL ES 2.0 doesnt have GLU_EXT_ anything, much less GLU_EXT_pixmap_to_texture. Anyone have ideas how for other ways it may be possible to make a compositing window manager for pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
ehhh afaik most window managers don't even use opengl on the pc.
You could always blit manually or use shaders to recreate everything you want.

I never even heard of GLU_EXT_pixmap_to_texture and a search for it didn't bring any good results beside one mailing list entry which was not informative neither.

As far as I know the sgx driver isn't that great so we only have opengl es and crappy x11 integration. So even though the hardware is probably capable of running compiz or other compositing window managers, the driver is not.
There was some effort to create a better driver but i wouldn't wait for that to happen.

On the other hand, e17 will run just fine with all sorts of nice effects.

Edit: More on the possibilities of a better driver: There is a Linux driver for the GMA 500 (which is based on the SGX 535, the pandora uses the SGX 530) but this driver seems to be in a pretty bad shape at the moment and depends on a binary blob for most of the functionality so it cannot be easily ported to arm.
Also we might see more netbooks or similar devices with arm processors in the near future (touchbook etc.) some which will have sgx graphics processors. It is possible that there will be a better driver for them which the pandora could use. But thats all just speculation.

As far as I know the sgx driver isn't that great so we only have opengl es and crappy x11 integration.
I'm curious, What info are you basing this on? Has there been bugs or irratic performance reported?

Adventus said:
As far as I know the sgx driver isn't that great so we only have opengl es and crappy x11 integration.
I'm curious, What info are you basing this on? Has there been bugs or irratic performance reported?
We don't know anything about SGX performance or driver implementation, I've been told. Stop speculating :p

Actually we *were* told that the driver didn't support the latest X features like compositing ... but that was a long time ago they could have fixed it

It isn't that the driver is slow or anything it just doesn't support some features of course that could have changed in the meantime

'Count Tuxula' said:
I don't know what the latest state is so feel free to ignore this suggestion.

Seeing as the OMAP3 display sub system (DSS) has 3 hardware surfaces (1 GFX, 2*Video) as a quick interim hack why not modify the 3rd party display driver to use one of the video overlays? OK you'll use more memory as you'll need video memory for the 2nd display surface but it does get around some of the integration issues (you wouldn't get X11 and the SGX drivers trying to draw the same pixels at the same time).
It would also allow you to run a game at a lower res (in case the SGX doesn't have the performance to run it full res) and have the DSS scale it up and even alpha blend it for you (just like it already does for video).

Just an idea :unsure:

Back