Compo4All Trash Talk, Tips & Tricks, Discussions, Etc.

^  I'm not entirely sure, if you haven't seen this part of the following thread yet, posts #518-521 seem most interesting... but as Skeezix said (in post #521), it could just be a bug.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12127-release-compo4all-mame-ladderscoreboard-competition-for-classic-arcade-games/page-26

oh, forgot about that (<-- too busy! ;) .. should I just kill off that score? I mean, its superior to Billy Mitchells scores by far, so pretty unlikely ;)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
No love for BattleJewels? :( *kittens crying*

Soon we'll have to figure out what arcade games to slide in for June release.. some more recent, some classic oldies, maybe some Neo Geo...

Need to go back to that thread and find some recommendations ;)

jeff

Tips and tricks? There's one part in Tyrian where the screen doesn't advance until you shoot a certain turret which spams missiles... you can go on killing those missiles to wildly increase your score close to the point of an overflow, or so I read.

Edit: can't we submit scores while tethered via BT?

If theres a working net connection, c4a submissions will work; it doesn't care how.

jeff

I finally loaded it up last night, but wanted to have a brief play "offline" to work out what was going on first. I'll post a score tonight probably - unless I get too consumed in the Tournament Hub.

Soon we'll have to figure out what arcade games to slide in for June release.. some more recent, some classic oldies, maybe some Neo Geo...

jeff
I prefer the classics, but Neo Geo games are good basic fun much like many of the classics(great shooters, action, ect.). I do believe there may be a continuation problem with those games though, as well as performance issues like Pulstar.

Berzerk, Dig Dug, Time Pilot, Galaga, Moon Patrol, Scramble, Popeye, Mario Bros, R-Type, Rolling Thunder(If performance can be sorted out), Commando, Gunsmoke, Ghouls n' Ghost, Aliens. 

There are to many greats to mention. The more basic and simple the better to me, but others have their opinions as well. I just think any games added should not have built in cheat issues(like score continues with extra credit, or performance issues that cause advantages).

BTW: Yeah, that Donkey Kong score is impossible to achieve on a standard DK machine. It may be possible if the kill screen could be bypassed, but then it's not a real DK experiance.

Thanks again Jeff, this is the most fun I've had gaming in forever. I'm playing many of these classics better than I ever did as a child, as most of the time I played to see how far I could get. Now I'm discovering what it is to play for the score. Great fun!

Chris

^  I'm not entirely sure, if you haven't seen this part of the following thread yet, posts #518-521 seem most interesting... but as Skeezix said (in post #521), it could just be a bug.

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12127-release-compo4all-mame-ladderscoreboard-competition-for-classic-arcade-games/page-26
oh, forgot about that (<-- too busy! ;) .. should I just kill off that score? I mean, its superior to Billy Mitchells scores by far, so pretty unlikely ;)

jeff
I guess that you could (just kill it) - I doubt that chompjil will complain.  Plus, if he really cares about having the top score, he could just creatively edit himself a new one...   :lol:  

Maybe for the sake of credibility, we should find a way to lock down a more secure way of recording/posting scores?  Mcobit seemed to think that it's too easy to cheat at the moment...(from what I read anyway).

You can easily write some lines of bashscript that will put you on top of the list for every entry.

But where would be the fun in that?

^ Hey, I'm with you on that one...I've never liked using "cheat codes" and such in any games.  BUT there are those that seem to enjoy some level of "fame" (or whatever "it" is)...

Edit 1:  That is over the joys of own's own hard work.  Plus some people are just lazy I guess...  :p  

Maybe chompjil should've picked a more realistically attainable number....LOL.

^ Hey, I'm with you on that one...I've never liked using "cheat codes" and such in any games.  BUT there are those that seem to enjoy some level of "fame" (or whatever "it" is)...
I loved cheat codes - I really miss them from games. They meant you could instantly play around with all the cool weapons at all the wrong points in the games etc. In contrast, I dislike "unlocks", it screams "You've bought my game, but I think I'll drip feed it to you".

^ Okay, I can sort of see it from THAT angle...for replayability-sake or unique exploration from within a game...but not for fair competitions (IMO).  For example, I've done research (on the internet) into how best to beat a certain part of a game if I've totally run into a wall...but I still don't like using cheat-codes...it just rubs me the way.

I'd love to have a Forget Me Not competition....
Ok, as I'm at a point in PandaBAS development where I can take a breather, I'm going to see if I can sort out this freezing issue once and for all. Then I'll have a look at adding C4A support.

Is there any documentation anywhere that I've missed?

D.

jeff
ARCADE GAMES!!!

**drooooooool**

jeff
I prefer the classics, but Neo Geo games are good basic fun much like many of the classics(great shooters, action, ect.). I do believe there may be a continuation problem with those games though, as well as performance issues like Pulstar.

Berzerk, Dig Dug, Time Pilot, Galaga, Moon Patrol, Scramble, Popeye, Mario Bros, R-Type, Rolling Thunder(If performance can be sorted out), Commando, Gunsmoke, Ghouls n' Ghost, Aliens. 
Berzerk + 2

Did Dug + 2

Time Pilot +1

Galaga + 3

Moon Patrol + 2

Ghouls 'N Ghost...same as Ghosts N Goblins, already on C4A

City Connection + 5 million

Crazy Climber + 5 million

Time Pilot '84 + 3 million

jeff

Ghouls 'N Ghost...same as Ghosts N Goblins, already on C4A
Not exactly ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/embed/-ta6YDWDPjc?feature=oembed

I know my classics!

Chris

That is the only game that I cannot load successfully on C4A  :(

Sunna ma gun, did not know they made a sequel!
Several in fact. One for the SNES, one on the PSP(well technically two, as Japan got a revised edition), and one on the Wonderswan.

Then there where side games to the series, like Gargoyles Quest, Demon Crest and the Maximo series. All great games in their own right. Sadly, Ghouls n' Ghost was the only other arcade game, as the rest where all for home systems(and handhelds). "Super" is my favorite, as it played the best, but I'm finding a new appreciating for Ghost n' Goblins thanks to Compo4All.

Chris

Back