Compiz?

Gautama

Still Fresh
Is the Pandora capable of running a few Compiz effects like the desktop cube or wobbly windows? Or does this use too much RAM?

It would probably be possible, but what would be the point? Not much RAM would be left to run anything else.

Compiz doesn't eat that much ram. The problems come from the Xserver and OpenGL ES. The AIGLX approach might not be feasible and the XGL one is much less flexible and in general undesirable. Porting stuff to ES might be the easier part, but not that easy either.

Owning a Nokia N770, I can tell that unminimised windows don't make much sense on such a small resolution...
That said, I can totally dig the idea of having the compiz cube with apps on each cube face, or with firefox tabs actually having each tab on the next 'cube'face...

aRTee said:
Owning a Nokia N770, I can tell that unminimised windows don't make much sense on such a small resolution...
I sort of agree, but the big prolem with Hildon/Maemo is that "subwindows" (small windows for a speicific task) behave very irritatingly: There is no way to even move them, let alone resize them.

Read this and this for a very insightful critic on Hildon/Maemo.

That said, I can totally dig the idea of having the compiz cube with apps on each cube face, or with firefox tabs actually having each tab on the next 'cube'face...

To each his own: I prefer function over form.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back