Compiling Under Windows

kurtkz said:
Hey everyone,

has anyone managed to compile code that uses DGE on Codeblocks under Windows?

Cheers
Kurt

i haven't used the windows sdk (yet) i could try tonight if you like, but all you basically need to do in codeblocks is create a new compiler settings things where you point to the directory containing the bin dir and select the binaries like g++ c++ (for the caanoo) once you have done that you can create a new project and select that compiler (as well as others for running it on windows).

i'm guessing you downloaded the sdk from the archive right ?

Last edited by a moderator:
@joyrider: Yup, I did all that already but just can't seem to get the bloody thing to work. Setting up the Wiz was a breeze, but I want to port my game engine over to the Caanoo now and this is incredibly annoying. If you *do* manage to sort something out, please post a short guide here? I'm sure everyone will appreciate the effort.

kurtkz said:
@joyrider: Yup, I did all that already but just can't seem to get the bloody thing to work. Setting up the Wiz was a breeze, but I want to port my game engine over to the Caanoo now and this is incredibly annoying. If you *do* manage to sort something out, please post a short guide here? I'm sure everyone will appreciate the effort.

i'll look at it now, just downloaded it from the archive, from the looks of it, it's only the compiler without additional binaries, you probably have to replace the compiler within the offical sdk with the windows one (so delete that one) i'll tried it out and keep you posted

got it working, i'll wip up a little help for you to get it going (start to download the linux GPH_SDK 10.08 already from the pinned topic)

1) download the linux gph_sdk 10.08 (from the other pinned dev topic )
2) extract into c:\ (so that you get c:\gph_sdk)
3) download the windows sdk from the archive
4) delete C:\GPH_SDK\tools\gcc-4.2.4-glibc-2.7-eabi
5) extract the windows sdk in c:\gph_sdk\tools\
6) download code::blocks (latest windows version without cygwin or mingw)
7) open up code:: blocks and goto "settings -> compiler" menu
8) select the GNU GCC COMPILER and press "copy" button and name your new compiler setting (i named it "CAANOO GNU GCC ARM COMPILER")
9) select the newly made compiler settings entry and goto the "toolchain executable" tab
10) enter "C:\GPH_SDK\tools\gcc-4.2.4-glibc-2.7-eabi" as the compiler directory
11) press ALL "..." below that edit box, and select all arm-gph-linux-gnueabi-* counterparts (like if it says gcc select arm-gph-linux-gnueabi-gcc.exe ect)
12) goto "search directories" tab
13) select "compiling" subtab
14) enter the following directories :
- C:\GPH_SDK\DGE\include
- C:\GPH_SDK\tools\gcc-4.2.4-glibc-2.7-eabi\include
- C:\GPH_SDK\tools\gcc-4.2.4-glibc-2.7-eabi\libexec\gcc\arm-gph-linux-gnueabi\4.2.4
- C:\GPH_SDK\include
- C:\GPH_SDK\tools\gcc-4.2.4-glibc-2.7-eabi\arm-gph-linux-gnueabi\sys-root\usr\include
15) select the "linking" subtab
16) enter the following directories :
- C:\GPH_SDK\DGE\lib\target
- C:\GPH_SDK\tools\gcc-4.2.4-glibc-2.7-eabi\lib
- C:\GPH_SDK\lib\target
17) go back to the "toolchain exectuables" (main) tab
18) select additional directories subtab
19) enter the following directories :
- C:\GPH_SDK\tools\gcc-4.2.4-glibc-2.7-eabi\libexec\gcc\arm-gph-linux-gnueabi\4.2.4
- C:\GPH_SDK\tools\gcc-4.2.4-glibc-2.7-eabi\arm-gph-linux-gnueabi\bin
20) try to compile something using these new settings for the compiler...

It compiles and links fine with me, although i did not test it on the caanoo itselve... if you have problems feel free to ask
hmm it didn't seem to link it wines about ld: missing crt1.o will see how to fix this

This aint going to work like that, what i think you should do is the following :
get just the windows SDK and cygwin so you got just the toolchain without any libs and then start compiling SDL and all the other libs yourselve from within cygwin, i've done this before with the gp2x and that worked, in the end you should be able to use it all under code::blocks you could just try it out by just compiling SDL and its dependencies but i think you'll need to compile staticly in the end then :)

but i'll try some more, maybe the files have to be placed in a specific path or something

looking at the build log
i noticed these lines :

[DEBUG] CT_HEADERS_DIR=/opt/cross-eabi/arm-gph-linux-gnueabi/sys-root/usr/include
[DEBUG] CT_HOST=i686-build_pc-cygwin

my guess is, that you have to use cygwin and that the toolchain has to be located in the /opt/cross-eabi/ dir

which probably means no code::blocks direct calling, if you want i can have a look at that to see if i can get it going with cygwin and makefiles... You are still able to use code::blocks as an editor then though but you would have to compile under cygwin all the time ...

i was also wrong about mixing the gph_sdk libs, they are in the sysroot directory in the windows compiler availible on the archive...

kurtkz said:
Thanks for the effort joyrider, I was at about the same point as you when I gave up. Think I'll just run a Linux image in VMWare...

I think that's a better idea, cygwin (from experience) tends to give more problems sometimes, problems you normally don't get when running from within linux (either through vmware or not)

Back