Coleco Galaga Mini Mame Arcade

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
I've always wanted to turn one of those Coleco mini arcades into a mame machine.  The other week I got sent a Coleco Pacman mini arcade which was missing most of its stickers, decided to open it up and proceeded to break the PCB  :angry:

Making best of a bad situation I thought Id give maming this thing out a go.  I ended up spending a few days image editing some Galaga artwork for it , then printing it off my self.     The internals are an iCade Jr I got from Thinkgeek for $15.  I modded the iCade JR board heavily to wire in some real buttons and to marry an original Coleco Mini arcade joystick to it. I also, married the original Coleco mini arcade battery pack into it.

It works via bluetooth connection to your iphone or ipod touch and will run :

*  Most Emulators

*  All IOS games that support the iCade (like Temple Run(which it's awesome for)  etc, there are a lot now)

*  All IOS Games generally that can be mapped via Blutrol (As Blutrol supports the iCade)

Here is a demo of the Coleco Galaga Mini Cab I built:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/RgQjMdFusQ4?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
You are a modding da Vinci . If I could walk as good as you mod I would've had a solid gold bust of myself in YOUR house by the time I was 10 . Seriously that thing is amazing :eek:

Btw would I be able to put little mini screen inside of a ( probably rooted ) Icade junior then use it on a raspberry pi ? Yes I am aware I would need a Bluetooth dongle for the pi .

so quality!

"I wish I could take that one hoooome!"

great spoofing btw too :)

WOW, excellent work "Mr. Arcade"! :lol:

I actually own a complete set of these mini arcade units, as I always wanted at least one when I was younger, but it was one of the few things I never got as a kid. So a few years back, I bought a full set off Ebay cheap(well cheap at the time). These where so cool at the time, due to the side art and form factor, but the games always left a lot to the imagination and a lot to be desired :p

This is what I think the makers invisioned at the time, but technology was unable to see thru in that time period. A truly amazing piece of tech/art work.

I have to ask, how well does that coleco joystick work for Street Fighter 2? Can you throw a fireball? I thought those sticks where absolute trash for the basic 4 way movements of the games of the time, so I'm curious as to how they function dropped in to a "future" situation that I know they where NEVER designed for.

Chris

WOW, excellent work "Mr. Arcade"! :lol:

I actually own a complete set of these mini arcade units, as I always wanted at least one when I was younger, but it was one of the few things I never got as a kid. So a few years back, I bought a full set off Ebay cheap(well cheap at the time). These where so cool at the time, due to the side art and form factor, but the games always left a lot to the imagination and a lot to be desired :p

This is what I think the makers invisioned at the time, but technology was unable to see thru in that time period. A truly amazing piece of tech/art work.

I have to ask, how well does that coleco joystick work for Street Fighter 2? Can you throw a fireball? I thought those sticks where absolute trash for the basic 4 way movements of the games of the time, so I'm curious as to how they function dropped in to a "future" situation that I know they where NEVER designed for.

Chris

The joystick works quite well in all 8 directions, basically because I only kept and used the actual Coleco white joystick stem itself , underneath it's all iCade JR electronics that drive the movement.  I haven't tried throwing a fireball on SF2, don't have the rom for it (or the PCB).

I know what your talking about though , the original Coleco mini arcade joystick setup was not good, you would move some times and nothing happened.  If you saw the internals it's not hard to see why.  

It's funny how you end up collecting what you wanted as a kid but never got. I'm the same way,  I have a whole bunch of the old 80's electronic handheld games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back