Founder of Pirate Games - Penjin Coder
Staff member
Website
pokeparadox.itch.io
WEBSITE
https://github.com/pokeparadox
YOUTUBE
pokeparadox
Basically, I finally installed Ubuntu and I have found solutions for most applications that I use in XP.
I want to find a program to use as my IDE and then I remembered that Code::Blocks has a linux compile... Now, what does this mean for my GP2X projects?

What do I need to do to have an equivalent setup to Yaustar's RC5 package?

Also in terms of Windows application developing from Linux, what are my options? Will wine run VStudio2005?
Otherwise what happens? I'm a complete linux noob apart from the little bit I know from GP2X... :)

If Wine doesn't run it, you coudl always use vmware (or others) and just run Windows inside of Unix (Linux, Freebsd, whatever.) I'm a big fan of vmware for when you just don't have an option.

jeff

(I won't answer your IDE question, because I'd just say Emacs, and then you'd commit suicide. But real men use Emacs ;)

I like vi and it may not be for everybody but I still recommend it. Eclipse is very good, all sorts of plug-ins for it. ddd is a good gui for the debugger, can get it to pop up your favorite editor and make changes, rebuild, restart all in the middle of a session, for some that's enough. Heard kdevelop is really looking good from someone the other day, it might be the most similar to something you've used before. Automake is a good toolset to get to know, used to build almost everything in linux world.

Well I actually have codeblocks installed... but I can't seem to get it to run...

I'd prefer to use it since I have been using it for GP2X development in WinXP anyway, but I'm not sure how to get it setup in the same way as to easily migrate my projects...

If you're using a nightly build, make sure to follow all the steps in having the correct libraries installed as well (wxWidgets 2.8.4 IIRC). The code::blocks wiki can be very helpful in getting set up. What problems are you having getting it to run ?

PokeParadox said:
Well I actually have codeblocks installed... but I can't seem to get it to run...

I'd prefer to use it since I have been using it for GP2X development in WinXP anyway, but I'm not sure how to
get it setup in the same way as to easily migrate my projects...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just set up CodeBlocks on Ubuntu myself a few days ago.
I couldn't get the nightly builds to work on my 7.04 install, but had no problems with it on 7.10 (test release).
Grabbing the latest version from the svn and compiling it myself got it to run on 7.04 (didn't really try to figure out why it wouldn't run ).

I quickly set it up to compile using the open2x toolchain, and it works great here.
Haven't set it up properly yet though, just copied the gcc settings (in the the Settings->Compiler and debugger menu ), named it Open2X, and modified all the paths to point to the open2x toolchain instead of /usr , and changed to compiler executables from gcc to arm-open2x-linux-gcc.
And I also added -static to the linker options.
Now you can just select Open2X as the compiler when you start a new project, and you get a gp2x executable.

It does need a lot more configuring to set it up like the windows Pre-configured Codeblocks Sdk, but I just wanted to see if I could get it to work.

Just use Anjuta or don't bother with an IDE at all :). I've always found Code::Blocks to be quite slow on Linux.

Orkie, have you run into any issues with anjuta? on my ubuntu amd64 7.04 box anjuta crashes a lot its so unreliable, older versions were not so bad.

I use jEdit myself, and kdevelop when I can (if only you can have a meta project in kdevelop instead of a big ass huge project that it sets up so much of kdevelop relies on having a project which sucks).

Ok... I'm prepared to use Anjuta... but I need some one to hold my hand and get me started... I just want to be able to do th following:

a) Develop DevkitPro apps (GBA,NDS)
B) Develop GP2X Apps
c) Be able to develop windows apps since that's what we do at uni...

YakumoFuji said:
Orkie, have you run into any issues with anjuta? on my ubuntu amd64 7.04 box anjuta crashes a lot its so unreliable, older versions were not so bad.
Nope, I always install 1.2.4 straight away because I know how unstable the alpha version, foolishly included in Ubuntu, is.

PokeParadox said:
Ok... I'm prepared to use Anjuta... but I need some one to hold my hand and get me started... I just want to be able to do th following:

a) Develop DevkitPro apps (GBA,NDS)
B) Develop GP2X Apps
c) Be able to develop windows apps since that's what we do at uni...
You can do the first two with any text editor. You don't need an IDE if you know how to use Makefiles or the command line.

I've been able to compile apps for Windows as well, but I can't find the right SDL libraries for development. If you need SDL, I can't help, but I'll be happy to help you set up a Windows cross-compiler.

Well I don't like makefiles and the commandline... (I can use the commandline, but it seems like a step backwards in many situations. (My first OS was MSDOS 5 or 6...))

So I like a nice IDE to help me organise my files, etc.

So yeah basically, what do I do from here to be able to compile NDS/GBA/GP2X and win?

EDIT: YEA! I managed to get Code::Blocks working now!

So... uh... what now :S

PokeParadox said:
Well I don't like makefiles and the commandline... (I can use the commandline, but it seems like a step backwards in many situations. (My first OS was MSDOS 5 or 6...))

So I like a nice IDE to help me organise my files, etc.
The idea is that you can run in via the command line. So if you can do that, you just input the same commands into the right fields in your IDE's preferences, and you'll run them every time you build your project. The point is, the IDE won't limit your ability to make programs for a certain system.

Good that you got Code::Blocks working. Did you get the right tools (compilers, etc.) all compiled?

As per the wiki... got the Open2X libs and stuff in /opt/open2x/ and I didn't get further than that since my internet dropped...

EDIT: I now have CromoZome compiling for SDL Linux... but the keyboard doesn't seem to be working :S
EDIT2: It actually seems that my fixed point code breaks something... If I revert back to floats for timer, etc... it works again. The fixed code works on a windows compile but not for GP2X/Linux... strange.

Back