Closest Pandora Competitor

Timstertoo said:
Just want to say, it's no just the plastic and chipset you should judge, it's also the people supporting it!
As my needs evolve, I find myself needing what amounts to a smartphone in the coming months and was starting to wonder what use I'll have for my Pandora when it eventually arrives. The beauty of Linux is that you can do most anything using most anything, so obviously that makes it difficult to find separate niches for two devices with similar hardware. The biologist in me is reminded of the competitive exclusion principle where, in a stable environment, species cannot occupy overlapping niches, for even the most minor disadvantage will lead to extinction given enough time. I feared that my poor Pandora would be left neglected in a drawer as it competed for my limited free time and pocket space.

Clearly, I had forgotten exactly what it is that makes the Pandora unique among portable Linux-based ARM devices. The impressive talent within the community along with the meticulous attention to detail have created the perfect environment for something truly amazing to happen. From the ever-diligent Craig & company to the developers and even to the lowliest n00b offering ideas or pragmatic trolling, a great many like-minded individuals are trying in their own way to make this a reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen that picture and didn't think that looked like a shoulder button, but I think I'm changing my mind.

Guess we're just waiting on more info then. Right now the only definitive advantages we know Pandora has is nubs and 2x full-sized SD. But this probably also lacks USB (both host and device) and bluetooth. It might also lack a touchscreen, although that'd be pretty strange. It also has a substantially weaker battery, weighing in at under half the capacity. Known advantages are more onboard flash (8GB vs 512MB) and WiMAX. Although the common controls do look worse than Pandora's we can't really know until people try them. I doubt they'll be competitive but I'd be encouraged by something that's even "good enough"; it's amazing how much these designs tend to miss the mark. Just having controls that don't automatically look awful is already an accomplishment.

Screen layout is a wash. I know some people prefer Pandora's clamshell, but others prefer the sliding design.

Since it's being promoted as a "learning device" I'm not really instilled with a lot of confidence in its performance. I'm going to guess that like every other Korean device I've seen they're sticking with a Korean SoC, meaning probably Samsung. It might be S5PC100 like the Odroid.

But it definitely looks more interesting to me than Odroid does, at least so far.

Phawx said:
Also I would rather they sacrifice the hardware keyboard for Dual Analog nubs. I can get by fine now with a virtual keyboard.

While you may personally feel this way, and several others here would agree, I think they'd have to be crazy to put nubs over a keyboard. There's no way they'll sell more units that way.

I think this will appeal to some people. It's definitely sufficient to use the web, play games, watch movies and listen to music. Compared to the Pandora it's quite stripped down but design and formfactor might be preferable. Compared to a smartphone it has the same shortcomings as the Pandora, no accelerometer, camera or 3G. Price is another thing to consider.

The sad part is that the article only compares it to the ODroid, not the Pandora.

And then there's this: http://technabob.com/blog/2007/09/27/hp-mscape-augmented-reality-gaming-handheld/ :rolleyes:

I like that you can write directly onto the screen. It is especially perfect for those trying to learn foreign languages or those that like pen based input for sketching or other types of design/art work. Since I study Asiatic languages and math/EE stuff, writing on the screen suits my needs well.

If that thing can actually be used as a phone and won't cost as much as the N900, I'll check it out.

I wish people would wake up and use clamshell designs rather than these crappy slide out keyboards for MIDs like this, it's so much more cramped/uncomfortable to use, and fragile. I want a unit I can put in my pocket without things going to hell because I have a quarter in my pocket - something that doesn't have to be in a special case just so it doesn't shatter the screen into pieces because I happen to bump into a counter with it in my pocket.

I have seen more ipod touches with cracked screens than I have without, most just slightly over 1 year old.

Elanzer said:
I wish people would wake up and use clamshell designs rather than these crappy slide out keyboards for MIDs like this, it's so much more cramped/uncomfortable to use, and fragile. I want a unit I can put in my pocket without things going to hell because I have a quarter in my pocket - something that doesn't have to be in a special case just so it doesn't shatter the screen into pieces because I happen to bump into a counter with it in my pocket.

I have seen more ipod touches with cracked screens than I have without, most just slightly over 1 year old.

I think the reason is touch screen centric UIs and one hand operation. A touch screen UI is much more comfortable when you can support the screen with your hand. A clamshell design is also hard to use with one hand, especially just to quickly check something, like clock or calendar. Clamshell is definitely better when using a device for an extended period of time and when the UI is not built exclusively around a touch screen. I hear what you're saying, but slide-out designs just fit more use cases better.

EDIT: typo

EDIT2: The different use cases make slide-out better for N900, but clamshell better for pandora. I'm about to have both, and I'm glad they chose their respective designs instead of the other.

EDIT3: Just mentioned N900 as an example from which I have experience.

Elanzer said:
I have seen more ipod touches with cracked screens than I have without
jesus christ man!? Where are you hanging out?

A demolition derby?

Apple repair depot?

iPod crash testing facility?

Apple school for the blind and clumsy?

Perhaps a badger?

What's your order number?

EDIT:

I mean seriously... I'm literally slamming my ipod agianst my desk face first over and over... now dropping it on the floor

now scraping it with car keys.. now pair of scissors...

haha tried to staple it...

ran out of stuff on my desk to throw at it...

my point is..

these things aren't exactly made of sugar glass or something, this is heat tempered glass we're talking about... I'm sure it's possible to break one of these sons of a bitches (I've only seen pictures) but with what would be required to break an ipod I'm 99% sure that, whatever it was, if you did to any other gadget you got, it would be in equal or worse shape.

please, i beg you, prove me wrong here.

I emailed the company for more information on this, mainly for the site, asked when I'd be able to buy one for review purposes. Oh and most importantly: what OS it's running.

Somewhat predictably, no response, so I'll try to keep you posted.

EDIT: Oh, they literally JUST replied

Dear Paul,
Thanks for your interest in Moblic E7.
E7 is broadband mobile internet device and innovative service platform which enables you to enjoy real internet world applications such as Entertainment (Game, Music, Film, UCC etc), Education, Information and Communication.
Moblic have focused more on developing Service Platform which is Contents Distribution Framework. And it will make broadband mobile data world experience to be very easy and pleasant. So this is not just MID, but Smart MID enabled by Moblic service platform, hardware, and broadband network (mobile WiMAX / WiFi).
We are planning to release our E7 in Korea in July and in other global market in Q3/Q4 this year. And Moblic will open more detailed information on E7 around May before official product release into the market. Your understanding would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Hyun Jin Ju
Moblic Broadband

So basically, out over here by the end of the year maybe, and who knows what's under the hood (OS wise).

jb0yx said:
ok, how about this - I was sitting down (in a chair), I went to pull my month old iphone out of my pocket, it slipped, hit the ground & the glass cracked. It was the only time I ever dropped it. Oh, and it was on the ground outside, not concrete or something. Care to explain how that happened? I've dropped many things from twice the distance & they came away without so much as a scratch.

I'm convinced it's a ploy - they could just as easily make it out of plastic, hell it would probably be a good bit cheaper, but instead they make it out of glass so it can break & they can charge you full price for a new one. And you can argue all you want about the feel of glass but it's still bs. They actually wanted double what I paid for the iphone to fix or replace it. F dat.

I'll take my pre thanks.

Looks very nice, except of the Singel-Buttons D-Pad. :)
Somehow the other Devices already come with finished Case even before mass production. How they manage this since we know a case takes 6 Months to finish? :D
And did the Company payed for using the patented Slide-Out Design?

Consequence_9 said:
jb0yx said:
ok, how about this - I was sitting down, I went to pull my month old iphone out of my pocket, it slipped, hit the ground & the glass cracked. It was the only time I ever dropped it. Oh, and it was on the ground outside, not concrete or something. Care to explain how that happened? I've dropped many things from twice the distance & they came away without so much as a scratch.

I'm convinced it's a ploy - they could just as easily make it out of plastic, hell it would probably be a good bit cheaper, but instead they make it out of glass so it can break & they can charge you full price for a new one. And you can argue all you want about the feel of glass but it's still bs. They actually wanted double what I paid for the iphone to fix or replace it. F dat.

I'll take my pre thanks.
I broke my pre the FRIST DAY I had it.. are you kidding me? I walked back into the store and they replaced it on the spot, but that has an even weaker screen than the iphone, it's some soft of hard plastic screen. That thing scratches so easy.. that's just stupid... and don't get me started on the wobble with the sliding keyboard... after like 3 months of owning it, it was almost twisting completely vertical I'm sorry are you high? ....I didn't mean that, I apologize.. but I can't belive you are leverageing the physical construction toward the pre above the iphone.

Anyway.. I don't own my pre anymore, aside from physical construction, the pre was a great phone I have to admit, the OS and palm's support of the homebrew and hacking community was top notch, very very much unlike any other big company out there. I'm now on to the htc hero (cdma chinless version) And this phone is a BEAST, gots the same candybar shape and tempered glass like the iphone/ipod. But it does somehow feel even sturdier, might be they replaced the metal back with some kind of ruggedized plastic. I donno, but it lives in my pocket with no screen protector and nary a single scratch to be seen.

You didn't prove me wrong by the way... drop your pre on the ground from the same height

pictures or it didn't happen ;)
--------------
EDIT: unreleated to my tangent, but more on topic, but somewhat still off topic from the original topic.

ODROID is getting the newest version of android 2.1 in a firmware update next month, should fix alot of stuff people are complaining about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIev6Ff7Kw0

Also, found out it supposedly has a capacitive touch screen, thought it was resistive. I'm actually feeling pretty good about my purchase after all, if not for a gaming device, but just for an 800mhz android platform... and the price drop to $200. If you have the extra cash... you really can't go wrong here.

it shipped this morning via korea post, should have it pretty soon.

fusion_power said:
Looks very nice, except of the Singel-Buttons D-Pad. :)
Somehow the other Devices already come with finished Case even before mass production. How they manage this since we know a case takes 6 Months to finish? :D
And did the Company payed for using the patented Slide-Out Design?
I don't think they leave the case to last, and they probably use companies who are used to make these kinds of cases.

jb0yx said:
I broke my pre the FRIST DAY I had it.. are you kidding me? I walked back into the store and they replaced it on the spot, but that has an even weaker screen than the iphone, it's some soft of hard plastic screen. That thing scratches so easy.. that's just stupid... and don't get me started on the wobble with the sliding keyboard... after like 3 months of owning it, it was almost twisting completely vertical
They seemed to have fixed a lot of these issues with the pre plus (what i've got). I always keep it in the little 'self-cleaning' sheath that came with it so I don't have to worry about scratches.

jb0yx said:
I'm sorry are you high? ....I didn't mean that, I apologize..
lol, no worries, tbh i probably would be had my shipment come in... ;]

jb0yx said:
You didn't prove me wrong by the way... drop your pre on the ground from the same height

pictures or it didn't happen ;)
we were talking about the itouch/phone tho, which i'm saying is hardly durable. (and actually I have dropped the pre from a greater height, and I would take a picture in all its pristine glory, but since it's my only camera that'd be pretty hard ;])

Must admit i'm a big fan of the UMID Mbook 2...

http://www.dynamism.com/notebooks/umid_bz.shtml

Might be buying one soon, happy for XP so i can put on a ton of emulators, keyboard isnt bad, nice little device

What is with this "x instead of a d-pad" criciticsm? It has a d-pad. An honest to god d-pad, there should really be no question in anyone's mind. We don't know if it's any good, but it's also hardly obvious that it isn't. Comparing it to something that has made no deliberate attempt at gaming controls is completely unfair. Getting hung up over nubs is blowing things out of proportion when chances are on Pandora the nubs will only be used by a small percentage of emulators, and the controlls will be used for emulators a more than for native games.

I think people are kind of determined to slam a device if it's not the one they fervently support.

Even if this device shows no promise on it own it still indicates interest in a form factor we've only seen Pandora address up until now. It could mean that there's more to come, and competition is a good thing (for end-consumers at least).

Exophase said:
Even if this device shows no promise on it own it still indicates interest in a form factor we've only seen Pandora address up until now. It could mean that there's more to come, and competition is a good thing (for end-consumers at least).
For want of not making a one-word post... This. ^ :D

I may not like the look of the d-pad *myself*, but then again there's every chance it may actually be a good one (and it's obvious even from looking at it that it's not as dire as some I've come across - I used to collect LCD games when I was younger, and there are a lot of bad'uns out there :lol: ). I certainly do like the idea of more devices like this being available.

Back