ClockworkPi uConsole

kuru

Laptop und Trachtenjanker
New portable by clockworkpi. There's different versions available, 4G optional for 40$. I don't like L/R on the front (Edit: it just dawned on me those might be mouse buttons, which is fine. But still missing L/R on the back then), the d-pad doesn't look very usable and enter/backspace should be swapped. Neat little trackball though :) and quite powerful with that compute module. Price with 4G and shipping is 300$.

uConsole.PNG

Last edited:
Oh look, a keyboard !! Let's speak about it !! :cool:

Those "gaming" buttons seems there just so they can say "It has gaming buttons too !!!11!1!!1!".

This form factor anyway seems useful for technicians who have to debug external devices, or to monitor something.

Yes I'm surprised they sell it as a game console when the gaming part seems to be more of an afterthought than anything else.
Still has a nice PDA-like nostalgia factor.

Missed opportunity to add a couple of buttons right next (or above, because the peripherals would be probably in the way otherwise) to the display like one of those CDU panels found in aircraft cockpits :D

1666794227711.png

It has LTE.
With phone capabilities, that would make a super nerdy phone

I agree, I don't see it as a gaming device but with a bluetooth phone dialer as an android phone replacement. Curious how the battery life will be.

if I could purchase it from ED I would be tempted. If something like WayDroid works on it then I would be even more tempted. And if on top of that the dollar exchange rate is more in our favor I am going to throw a pile of Euro banknotes in ED's direction.

I agree, I don't see it as a gaming device but with a bluetooth phone dialer as an android phone replacement. Curious how the battery life will be.

if I could purchase it from ED I would be tempted. If something like WayDroid works on it then I would be even more tempted. And if on top of that the dollar exchange rate is more in our favor I am going to throw a pile of Euro banknotes in ED's direction.

Oh, cool. Waydroid is working on Ubuntu touch :confused:

I am still waiting forever to get my Astro Slider.
Maybe I'll try Ubuntu on that one.

On my computer I did not get waydroiod to run

I'd be tempted if they had one with an e-ink display
E-ink is something I'm very interested in. It does look like there's no small keyboard-equipped device with a proper OS and an e-ink screen. There are pure tablets with either Android or proprietary OS, and there are dumb typewriter-style devices. And there's the Yoga C930, which grinds my gears: it has an LCD and an e-ink, and the latter is used as keyboard input.

A pen-enabled display like https://shop.boox.com/collections/final-offer-2022/products/novaairc , some Linux OS that can run Drawpile, Krita and Mypaint, swappable battery, physical keyboard and all that in a 360° folding design would be awesome. One can dream

E-ink is something I'm very interested in. It does look like there's no small keyboard-equipped device with a proper OS and an e-ink screen. There are pure tablets with either Android or proprietary OS, and there are dumb typewriter-style devices. And there's the Yoga C930, which grinds my gears: it has an LCD and an e-ink, and the latter is used as keyboard input.

A pen-enabled display like https://shop.boox.com/collections/final-offer-2022/products/novaairc , some Linux OS that can run Drawpile, Krita and Mypaint, swappable battery, physical keyboard and all that in a 360° folding design would be awesome. One can dream
I'm also interested in the PineNote, but fear that it's still a little early in the software development to be fully usable... still tempted mind.

Oh, cool. Waydroid is working on Ubuntu touch :confused:

I am still waiting forever to get my Astro Slider.
Maybe I'll try Ubuntu on that one.

On my computer I did not get waydroiod to run

Don't really have a use case for waydroid on my PC, so don't think I am going to bother.
Instructions seem to be pretty easy though - software is very actively being updated so maybe it works better now

Astro Slider is also very nice and I did consider it, but the price tag is too high imo. This device nails the price and with a RPI core it should be relatively easy to maintain.
BTW - Waydroid apparently also works on PostmarketOS. Would be nice for Pyra users to have it supported on Pyra as well.

Instructions seem to be pretty easy though - software is very actively being updated so maybe it works better now
Except that it is not.
I am Using Manjaro, which is basically Arch.

When you read the Wiki, it says that Waydroid requires some special Kenel modules, which are not in the regular Manjaro Kernel.
It requires the Zen Kernel, which has those modules enabled.
Luckily the Zen Kernel can easily be installed via the AUR.

Except that the latest Zen Kernel does not include one of those required modules any more as it's deprecated now and Waydroid should update their dependencies.
Until that did not happen I would have to compile the Kernel myself, which is not worth the effort for me.

I really wanted to try this out, but it did not work as I wanted it to.
Post automatically merged:

Don't really have a use case for waydroid on my PC, so don't think I am going to bother.

Honestly I do not want to rely on a phone at all and use all the Apps some services require on my GPD Win Max 2.
I do not like phones at all.
Post automatically merged:

Astro Slider is also very nice and I did consider it, but the price tag is too high imo. This device nails the price and with a RPI core it should be relatively easy to maintain.
I was lucky to get an early bird for 500.
I had the choice to buy a stock F(x)Tech pro for 800 or an Astro for 500.
800 is way above what any phone is worth it.
Even 500 is, but I need a new phone and that one is the only one with a keyboard, decent price and the features I want.

So whatever other cheap device comes up, as soon as it has Android apps support and can be used for navigation is something I consider.
It MUST have a keyboard and may look as outdated as it does.
That ClockworkPi could fir my needs if it had Android, phone capabilities and navigation.

I still love all of those.
Thinking of getting all of their products just for my collection, as I like the idea a lot.

So they use the Raspberry Compute module as a core now and the "DevTerm Kit A06" will never be back in stock, right?

Back