Clock Problems

illusionx

Still Fresh
I haven't figured out what exactly causes this but I can reset the clock on my pandora and a few hours later it's slow by a random amount. I set it at 11:33 today and now it's 15:44 but the pandora thinks it's 15:18 :huh:

Anyone else had this issue?

Yes I have also noticed this issue but haven't said anything about it because I can't work out why its happening yet ..

Well... that's strange.
Perhaps there's an automatic power control circuit somewhere which is screwing with the clock?
The clock is usually run through the BIOS, isn't it?

fearofshorts said:
The clock is usually run through the BIOS, isn't it?
There is no BIOS, at least not as the x86 has one.
There is a real time clock which is as accurate as any clock, but then there's the software clock used by linux which only should be as accurate as any clock. Reading/writing to the real time clock is a "slow" process, so the OS only looks up this time once, when you first start up, and then uses fast timers to increment it every second. It's possible (though it shouldn't be likely) that something is messing up these timers causing the clock to slow down slightly. You can force the system to refresh the system time from the real time clock by opening a terminal window and typing "/sbin/hwclock -hctosys".
As a workaround, create a cronjob that runs every 10 minutes or so and it will ensure your system clock is kept in line with the real time clock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, this is occurring on my unit too... I reset the clock because it was nearly 15 minutes behind the actual time yesterday.

That happened in just about one week of owning the unit. Not a huge problem that I'm concerned about, but it is definitely an issue.

sverm said:
Can the clock service/daemon be completely disabled to gain that little more resources?
No, because then things that rely on the clock would fail.
And it uses, like, 10 cycles once per second. You wouldn't exactly be gaining anything. There are far more intensive and less useful tasks to look at disabling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back