Clock-changer Modified ... Feel The Speed

Ummm ... Has anyone tried this and had any noticeable improvements?

/me is scared :eek:

Well, curiosity > fear, so I tried it.

I noticed less choppy-ness in Aero Fighters 2 for NeoGeo, but Donkey Kong Country still plays @ 5-7 FPS with sound on.

On the GP32 at least it was safe to attempt to (software) overclock to any frequency, since if you went to high the most likely thing to happen would be the CPU reading the memory wrong or miscalculating, resulting in a crash. Rebooting it would set it right again. However, if you did any physical alterations to the voltage the CPU could get overheated.

I strongly doubt this program could cause any harm, I would use it without fear had I gotten my GP2X yet.

Anyone unable to get this working? My GP2X always locks up on exit, even when underclocking/leaving the clock unchanged.

Here are the only things I've done that could be the problem:
-Installed firmware v1.0.1 + .gpu patch
-Installed vimacs' mono->stereo autopatch
-Done the foam-layer removal

Serial: 2005.11.15 - GP2XV101 - 00000123

I'm using a regulated 2000mA adapter, so that's not the problem (but I tried it with fresh batteries just in case - it still didn't work). Everything has been in fine working order with my GP2X to date.

I am waiting for my batteries to charge. Are the changes permanent until next reset or next time you run the tool?

Will devs use the code to incorporate into games and emulators?

The changes are permanent even after you reset.

EDIT: I just checked and they are not permanent.

The changes arent permanent on my gp2x. After switching off and switching back on the clockspeed is always set at 200mhz again

chris_r posted on Dec 9 2005 at 10:29 PM said:
The changes arent permanent on my gp2x. After switching off and switching back on the clockspeed is always set at 200mhz again

Ditto ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all that worked on getting this version up and running!At last I have my Gp2x problems solved!No flickering or lcd problems on 280 or 140 mhz!Thank you all very very much!(Now if only If I could start this at boot...)

Nice, I think we need something like Prime, something that pushes the CPU aswell as stalls if theres any errors. So we can test the max stable clock speeds as I'm sure every machine will be different.

Mine locked up when I tried 266Mhz but seemed to handle a few minutes of SNES SFII (went from 20-25FPS to 25-30FPS btw)

Okay, try this:

Switch to 280 MHz, start up DrMD with Sonic (1, 2, 3) or any other game you like, set frameskip from manual to 0 and sound rate up to 22050.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeha :)

you can also try the NKs NES-Emu ... when you lower the frameskip (R + Volume-), the emulator becommes very nice, although there are minor glitches like a invisible Mario when you shrink (he should blink) .. there is a frameskip ... maybe the emulator doesn't show the visible sprite, because mario blinks with 1/2 framerate

Does it work from a command line, so I could write a script that automatically switches clockspeed when I run it, then runs whatever, then switches back?

Back