Classic Gaming Tips And Tricks

P

pAiN

Being a collector, i figured i'd start a weekly thing here for other collectors or just people interested in classic gaming that would help and give little tricks and hints into classic games and hardware.

This weeks tip: Is your old Atari 2600 joystick broken? Don't know where to get one? Have a Sega Genisis/MD? Then your problems are solved...The sega Genesis/MD and the Atari 2600 both have the same connector for joysticks!! Just plug in the Genesis/MD pad into your 2600 and off you go. The only button usable on the Sega controller is the B button but it works beautifully, in my opinion, alot better than the original 2600 Joysticks.

pAiN posted on Oct 25 2004 at 09:12 PM said:
Being a collector, i figured i'd start a weekly thing here for other collectors or just people interested in classic gaming that would help and give little tricks and hints into classic games and hardware.

This weeks tip: Is your old Atari 2600 joystick broken? Don't know where to get one? Have a Sega Genisis/MD? Then your problems are solved...The sega Genesis/MD and the Atari 2600 both have the same connector for joysticks!! Just plug in the Genesis/MD pad into your 2600 and off you go. The only button usable on the Sega controller is the B button but it works beautifully, in my opinion, alot better than the original 2600 Joysticks.

lol the same with amigas and megadrive pads as well
i use em for my amigas n cd32
u can try to use it as a mouse with weird effects

Last edited by a moderator:
SMS controllers work as well. If you don't mind me adding another tip, paddles can be repaired as well. A replacement potentiometer (the part that the knob turns) can be found at radioshack. What you'll need is a 1 MOhm pot, not a trimmer (they're way too small)

I have also used Megadrive pads for old systems for some time, but be aware that I did read a lot a while back about them not being that good for the old system, something to do with the pins or the current or something as they were not designed for anything other than Megadrive. I've never noticed any problemmyself, but just be aware - anyone else heard this? The retro experience is made complete by using a controller which matches your system anyway though, heartily recommended.

®

will work with C64 too ive used mine in geos.

Yeah I use my atari 2600 joysticks on my c64 as well and they work perfectly. It seems that this was a pretty popular conector for consoles at the time.

Back