Chiptune musician seeking gamedev

benced

Still Fresh
Hey everyone, have been mucking about with making chiptune music for the past year or so (some made on the pandora itself).

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in having me create music for a game their working on as I'm looking for a project to give me some sort of focus for my music.

I have uploaded a load of stuff at soundcloud.com/jimilee to give people an idea of the types of music I make. Anyone is free to use or adapt the stuff that's there already.

Cheers,

Ben

Up to now I havn't been making music in a mod format but can look into it

Out of interest, what format does your finished product come in - mp3/ogg? It would make more from the point of a game developer to have in a mod (or similar format) due to size of the final package. Nobody likes a big package...well some people do I suppose.

most soundtracks are mp3... mix to lower quality for in-game, take up say 30-60mb... no big deal, for a serious game. chiptunes are tiny but higher cpu overhead; mods are small and not bad on cpu, but usually sound like mods... just do what you like to do, or work it out with dev :)

skeezixphone

Fair do's I suppose Skeezix. I guess I live in the dark ages when an entire game could fit into 1.44Meg :)

EDIT: But still, I've heard some ace 'chiptune' sounding stuff done using octamed - and that _is_ a mod and sounds great too. Maybe I just don't know what I'm on about! Ignore me...most people do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chiptune != mod; totally different thing.

Many mods do sound _awesome_, especially with later mod tools; but many mods still sound mod .. that very structured framework they have sort of encourages a certain behaviour :)

All techs are good, and I'm as retro as the next retro nutjob who collects Atari ;) , but when you're talking content creation, its a whole other story.. a give and take between authoring needs, rendering needs ,storage and delivery needs, etc :) Don't pre-make-up-your-mind, you may need to make it up later ;)

jeff

Back