Cheap Sd Card Mp3 Player

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
I just bought an MP3 player from 7dayshop.com that uses SD cards as memory.

10.99 for the player and 17.99 for a 512 MB card. Came to 61 quid odd for 2 players and two cards. I bought the GF one too. The way I see it is I will be able to upgrade memory for peanuts in a year or two or even carry a few cards and it's solid state so should last longer than a disk based player.

Link here if your interested.

You could get a 256mb card for 9.99 or a gig for 39.99 depending on how much you want to spend.

I can say the sound quality is excellent through my sony earbuds but the stock buds are crap as you'd expect. Also a little more info on the screen other than track number and length would be nice.

The player can double as a card reader/writer so you can carry files about too. All in all an excellent bit of kit for the price and you can expand your memory later.

Typing into google "define quid" got me several definitions but this was best.

a pound (£1) Plural usually uses singular form, eg., 'Fifteen quid is all I want for it..' From late 1600's England, when it first meant a guinea, and later transferred to mean pounds in the 1700's. In these older times the plural form of quids was also used. Almost certainly derived from the Latin 'quid', meaning 'what', particularly in the expression quid pro quo, meaning to exchange something for something else (loosely 'what for which').

Even our slang is cultured ;)

BaDToaD posted on Aug 26 2005 at 07:02 PM said:
Even our slang is cultured ;)
Yes... not unlike the muck from the bottom of the ocean floor that cultures into a pearl or the fleghm in one's throat which consists a culture for a doctor's annual check-ups :D :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishbong posted on Aug 27 2005 at 07:53 PM said:
Back to topic: That´s an incredible price for such a nice player... If the audio quality is any good. Which is uncertain. :unsure:

The sound through the stock phones is passable but through decent sony earbuds it's excellent, quite loud too. Streets ahead of the GP32 for sound.

Through my AudioTecnica ATH-M40 full size professional studio monitor phones it's damn impressive and drives them at a slightly quiet but passable volume too.

I have discovered a limitation of the player though. I encoded a load of CDs for my GFs player at 22khz 80kbs (an excellent rate for decent sound but small size) and put 241 songs on the player. unfortunately she has reported she can only access the first 200.

I also found it a bit awkward finding tracks as it only shows track number and duration of the song and you can only move 1 track at a time however it is still an awesome little player but I'd probably have to scratch my original thoughts of buying bigger cards due to the 200 song limit. I'm still chuffed with it and will buy some more 256s or 512s if and when they drop in price. I can always use them on the gpx2 anyway :)

Have you tried putting the songs (mp3`s) in folders on the player, Say 200 in each folder ?.

I have a 1gig flashkey type mp3 player which has a silly limitation of 99 songs :blink: , But seperating the songs into folders (99 each) i get around this stupid limitation.

Trooper

Might pick one of them up! I have so many cheap solid mp3 players though, and none of them are that great...

Have to report on amazing service from Apple. My Ipod broke, told them, just over 24 hours later a new one arrived, with a prepaid ups package to send the old one back!

Jolly good!

trooper posted on Aug 28 2005 at 05:58 AM said:
Have you tried putting the songs (mp3`s) in folders on the player, Say 200 in each folder ?.

I have a 1gig flashkey type mp3 player which has a silly limitation of 99 songs :blink: , But seperating the songs into folders (99 each) i get around this stupid limitation.

Trooper

Unfortunately each album was in a seperate folder so no joy there :(

Well, boo, no international customers. :(

Been looking for a Compact Flash compatible player, as I allready have a 1G CF card... No luck. They're either horrificly expencive, or dubious in functionality...

Jarska333 posted on Aug 28 2005 at 05:34 PM said:
Been looking for a Compact Flash compatible player, as I allready have a 1G CF card... No luck. They're either horrificly expencive, or dubious in functionality...
or eat batteries like a motherfucker. CF is very heavy on power resources, i doubt you'll ever find a suitable player.

Just a quick update for anyone interested. I had a chance to compare the quality of this player's sound with a friends 180 pound creative 20 gig player. The result was a no contest. This player sounds WAY better than the creative player and I do mean WAY better.

So if you were worried about buying one, don't worry. I say go for it. One of these and a 256 Meg card will be the best 25 quid inc P&P you have ever spent. I've just ordered another two. One for a friend and another for me as a spare. :)

BaDToaD posted on Aug 31 2005 at 03:29 PM said:
Just a quick update for anyone interested. I had a chance to compare the quality of this player's sound with a friends 180 pound creative 20 gig player. The result was a no contest. This player sounds WAY better than the creative player and I do mean WAY better.

So if you were worried about buying one, don't worry. I say go for it. One of these and a 256 Meg card will be the best 25 quid inc P&P you have ever spent. I've just ordered another two. One for a friend and another for me as a spare. :)

Were the songs like for like (e.g. the same file?) I'm suprised at that, I've always found Creative's audio quality to be very good.

Yeah they were the same files. The creative had a much woolier sound. The top end detail was lacking and there was not as much warmth in the mid range. Bass was ok but lacked the punch of the little player even though there was more volume available. It may just have been his player was knackered but I doubt it.

Back