Cheap Micro Controller

Wow, i missed this thread the first time, and been looking for a way to start learning about programming micro controlers. This seems the way to go, thanks for the tip!

And found a local (online) shop that resells them without the need of a creditcard, or insane minimum amount or shipping cost. Bit more expensive, about 11 euro's with shipping, but i still consider that very cheap for something so potentially useful.

So: ordered :)

Cheers, and thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want really cheap microcontrollers for your launchpad, you could ask for some samples on Ti's website
wink.gif

Even the shipping is paid by Ti.

The only downside, you can only get 4 kind of chips and only 2 piece of each.

The advantage of MSP430 over most of the other µC is that it use a Von Newmann architecture like your PC.

So I found it easier to understand how they work and how to program them.

I had to learn - again - the bitwise operators, registries and interrupts - I'm currently learning timers -
tongue.gif

I've coded too much Java and C# since the last time I used C/C++

If you want really cheap microcontrollers for your launchpad, you could ask for some samples on Ti's website
wink.gif

Even the shipping is paid by Ti.

The only downside, you can only get 4 kind of chips and only 2 piece of each.

Now those are the tips that are really useful!! thanks!

The advantage of MSP430 over most of the other µC is that it use a Von Newmann architecture like your PC.

So I found it easier to understand how they work and how to program them.

I had to learn - again - the bitwise operators, registries and interrupts - I'm currently learning timers -
tongue.gif

I've coded too much Java and C# since the last time I used C/C++

Everything is new to me, only know some basic c++ programming. Never done anything like this before :) But i don't mind a bit steep learning curve.

Also already received a mail back. Mine will be shipped tomorrow, so i'll receive it on monday probably (maybe saturday already, but that's not likely)

And already thinking about a project. Wanna mod a cheap RC car for basic driving and collision detection (2 whisker sensors is the idea, i've seen a vid somewhere), and later on to slap a bluetooth module onto it and make the pandora the wireless brains for more advanced driving. No clue how far i will get, and will certainly take months because of other projects. But a man has to have a goal, right?

Cheers!

P.s. Oh, but blinking leds and counters first ofcourse ;)

It's always nice to have a project you aim for.

That way, it's easier to keep your motivation.

At the moment, I'm trying to create an auto-fire module for my arcade controller.

I want to make it configurable: with a hidden button, you'll be able to switch the module in "learning mode" then, you'll have to record the time between two auto-fire button presses.

I've seen a few MSP430 projects using PWM output to drive electrical motors.

IIRC that kind of signal is generated by the timer part of the mcu.

Well a big thumbs up for my Dutch reseller, and for once, for the dutch mail. I ordered it on Thursday 7 pm, and it arrived at my house this afternoon already :)

Time to play!

Update 1:

Man, it's no penjin... :p

Dont understand everything i do yet, clocks for intance. But at least figured out how to set individual io ports on and off in a main loop (blink them leds weirdly ; )

Generally: i love it already!

I've seen a few MSP430 projects using PWM output to drive electrical motors.

IIRC that kind of signal is generated by the timer part of the mcu.

Ah, after a couple of days of testing and reading i can now finally comment to that: Yes thats an option, use one of the timers to create a pulse to drive a motor.

But i was thinking about finding a wired car, and connect some outputs of the launchpad to the place there the wired buttons connect inside the car. That way i could, for now, use the drive circuits of the car itself.

Later on it might be an idea, but then i would need multiple MSP430's connected through I2C to drive the motors, otherwise i would not have enough clocks/cycles/ports/whatever left to create some drive patterns and interaction with the world. Edit: or i might order some motor drive chips ofcourse, i see they sell for $1,40 :p

But first i need to find a wired car (looked at some toy stores, almost everything is wireless these days), and a proper soldering set.

Cheers!

Back