Charger information needed, please (Split from other topic)

claregj

Still Fresh
Hi, I am new, happy to meet you all.

Just got my Pandora, and have been in a lot of trouble due to failure of the battery charger. I see I am not alone, but didn't know that as my only web access was unreliable broadband. Have improved that a bit today. I sent the charger back; and have been using USB charging. It is good that it was possible.

However if the chargers are all bad, it is offputting that fire and brimstone was promised to people who used the wrong kind. In the spirit of openness it might be more helpful to give the exact requirements for the charger.

clare

Hi, I am new, happy to meet you all.

Just got my Pandora, and have been in a lot of trouble due to failure of the battery charger. I see I am not alone, but didn't know that as my only web access was unreliable broadband. Have improved that a bit today. I sent the charger back; and have been using USB charging. It is good that it was possible.

However if the chargers are all bad, it is offputting that fire and brimstone was promised to people who used the wrong kind. In the spirit of openness it might be more helpful to give the exact requirements for the charger.

clare
You may safely use a PSP charger.

Didn't know if you were aware of this.??

Welcome!!

Last edited:
The one I got stopped working for me after about 2 months, I have been using the PSP charger or USB to get things humming ever sense no problems. Oh and welcome.

Hi claregj!

I hope you don't mind, but I've split your post and the replies to it from the other thread, as I think your enquiry warrants its own topic.

If it's of any help, for charging I use the PSP/sat-nav tip from one of these multi-tip USB charging cables, attached to the wall-wart from this USB-chargeable battery-pack. Of course, this would work fine with any good-quality, known-safe USB wall-charger!

It works just the same as the charger supplied with the Pandora, with the twin advantages of being smaller and more portable (which is the reason I use this solution - I have both of the kinds of Pandora charger that have been supplied, but no longer use either, so I don't know if I would have had problems with them too), and having tips for other gadgets that I travel regularly with (top tip for folks who have a 3DS as well: The DSi tip is the same as the 3DS one), thus negating the need to carry multiple chargers.

Of course, as others have pointed out, if you have an official (or known-good-quality third-party) PSP charger, that will do the job perfectly, too. Avoid buying super-cheap ones online, though - you get what you pay for, and they can be dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Prometheus, Halcyon and scoobydoo. I had better confess that I had to google for PSP charger. My background is not yet gaming. Just to say it will be a while till I post again as I need to get internet connectivity on the Pandora. I will seek help later on that probably.

cheers, clare

I gather you have already found yourself a PSP charger, but if not, you can pick one up at JB Hifi or EB Games. Both chains appear to have outlets in your neck of the woods. :)

Gruso, on 08 November 2011 - 09:33 AM, said:

I gather you have already found yourself a PSP charger, but if not, you can pick one up at JB Hifi or EB Games. Both chains appear to have outlets in your neck of the woods. :)

Thank you Gruso, -both are within 3K of home too. However as yet I am using one from Dick Smith which substitutes for a computer's USB output using the small usb connection; and charges my mobile phone, thus reducing the charger count at least for now. The battery seems to be improving - I was wondering how it liked all the AC it suffered.

I ordered a spare battery "two months" ago; and looking at it I wondered if anyone has devised a holder to charge a battery outside of the phone.

Lots more questions soon,

Really loving the dear little thing, it feels so smooth to touch; and the screen is a delight.

Last edited by a moderator:
The charger that came with the Pandora is rated at 5v, 2A.

It's a fake piece of crap, obvious to anyone who owns a PSP and, unsurprisingly, has failed already.

I've just plugged a PSP->Micro USB tip + USB cable combo into my iPad charger and started using that. It's rated at 5.3V 2.1A which is a damn sight closer than any other power supply I've got handy. And it's pretty certainly good quality.

Only just plugged it in, so if my house catches fire or my Pandora explodes, I'll let you know.

Other chargers in my armada include 5v at 1A, and 5v at ~600mA, both of which seem a little underpowered by comparison. Although my universal chargers seem to settle on 1A.

Back